Eye Protection

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2013
      The thread on skin protection got me thinking about proper eye wear for the trail. I use prescription lenses and typically use both clear and sun glasses for distance. In the past, I had transition lenses - the kind that get progressively darker as they get more exposed to sunlight. However, these never got very dark and I don't think they were polarized. My current prescription sunglasses are polarized but not that dark and they don't really wrap around.

      From a weight saving perspective (and for simplicity), it would be great to get darker transition glasses but I doubt these would ever get dark enough. So I'm thinking my best bet would be dark prescription polarized lenses that wrap around enough to protect the eyes against glare from the side. I don't anticipate walking on much snow in September but glare could still be an issue. Does anyone have specific brands or vendors in mind (ideally online) that don't cost a fortune?
    • larry mann
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2013
        For what's it worth, I have used these and am very happy.
        Larry

        http://www.fitovers.com/

        On Feb 2, 2013, at 12:48 PM, "ravi_jmt2013" <ravi@...> wrote:

        The thread on skin protection got me thinking about proper eye wear for the trail. I use prescription lenses and typically use both clear and sun glasses for distance. In the past, I had transition lenses - the kind that get progressively darker as they get more exposed to sunlight. However, these never got very dark and I don't think they were polarized. My current prescription sunglasses are polarized but not that dark and they don't really wrap around.

        From a weight saving perspective (and for simplicity), it would be great to get darker transition glasses but I doubt these would ever get dark enough. So I'm thinking my best bet would be dark prescription polarized lenses that wrap around enough to protect the eyes against glare from the side. I don't anticipate walking on much snow in September but glare could still be an issue. Does anyone have specific brands or vendors in mind (ideally online) that don't cost a fortune?

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2013
          On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM, larry mann <lm6365@...> wrote:

          For what's it worth, I have used these and am very happy.
          Larry

          http://www.fitovers.com/

          Cheaper (under $4) version of the same thing.

          I've used both these and the brand-name Fitover brand and they are virtually equivalent.  If you have a Grainger outlet nearby (in most large cities and many smaller ones), you can have them delivered to the store and avoid shipping charges

        • Darryl
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2013
            Ravi,

            Are you saying you currently use prescription sunglasses or you would like to use prescription sunglasses? Apparently even John Muir sustained sun damage to his eyes in the "Range of Light" so transition lenses may not cut it. You may want to consider Oakley Prescription sunglasses. http://www.oakley.com/store/products/men/sunglasses/prescription
            They are pricey, but it could be a case of you get what you pay for, so they may be a good investment, especially for your eyes (and the view).

            Darryl

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2013
              I do use prescription sunglasses but they are basically regular eyeglass frames with a tinted lens that is polarized but not very dark and doesn't wrap around the sides at all.

              I never considered the fit over type solution before ... That could be worth a look as well.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl" wrote:

              > Ravi,
              >
              > Are you saying you currently use prescription sunglasses or you would like to use prescription sunglasses? Apparently even John Muir sustained sun damage to his eyes in the "Range of Light" so transition lenses may not cut it. You may want to consider Oakley Prescription sunglasses. http://www.oakley.com/store/products/men/sunglasses/prescription
              > They are pricey, but it could be a case of you get what you pay for, so they may be a good investment, especially for your eyes (and the view).
              >
              > Darryl
              >
              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ravi_jmt2013" wrote:
              > >
              > > The thread on skin protection got me thinking about proper eye wear for the trail.

            • Jason
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2013
                We actually ran into a poor girl who got snow blinded in 2011. Thankfully, she had regained her sight by the time we met her in Devil's Postpile, but even in a less snowy year I think some kind of eye protection is a must!

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 2, 2013
                  On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
                  ... Cheaper (under $4) version of the same thing.

                  A member told me the link doesn't work.

                  If you are interested in $4 near 100%-UV-protective overglasses with sideshields, try going to grainger.com and entering exactly this in a search box

                  1VW18

                  That's the letters V and W between the numbers 1 and 18.

                  They look like this

                  Inline image 1

                • Don Amundson