Options for package pickup at TM outside of post office

  • nawlunz
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2013
      I am trying to plan my JMT trek and my options seem to be that I may arrive at TM on Saturday afternoon, or on Sunday morning. I don't want to stay at TM any longer than I have to. I want to pick up my supplies and get on the trail.

      SO, my question...are there options for package pickup at TM outside of postoffice pickup? Does the store allow you to mail the package to them and pick up on Sunday? Are there other options?

      Just curious....want to know what other options are available..I know Roleigh has been thinking about it.
    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2013
        I can tell you that in my personal experience, I have been able to ask in the store and they've been able to get my package after the post office closes.

        Once, I was lucky, as I could actually see my box, up on a shelf and it only required that the store employee had to climb up and get it. Another time, someone went into the post office and grabbed my drop, for me.

        It's best not to ask them when the store is blazing busy, or tell them that, "Come on, I know you can do it for me."

        Just be nice.

        BOB

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: will_cef_1@...
        Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 00:04:53 +0000
        Subject: [John Muir Trail] Options for package pickup at TM outside of post office

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2013
          Bob's input reminds me of a good tip.

          Put a unique large colored drawing, animal, shape, or something very visible and noticeable on each side of the box, so that no matter how the box is shelved, an employee will easily see your box.  It is easier to see something like this than to examine the addressee name which is only on one side of the box.

          If you only put this shape on one side, have it be the side where the addressee is.

          Think being very unique, as anyone who reads this will come up will come up with something but you don't all want to come up with the same unique thing!

          The gent at the post office told me how helpful such a decoration has been to quickly find something.

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2013
            It is also a good idea to write your last name, LEGIBLY, on all sides of your box, but I've also found that they'll do this once they get your package, anyway. Well, they might not write your name on all sides, but they'll shelve it as space provides and write your name on the visible side.

            As for an earlier post (by Roleigh) I think if the gas station or the mountaineering shop had wanted to get into the parcel food drop thing, they would've been on that one a while ago––as it is, the post office in TM has it handled.

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrFPEP0Qk0w

            BOB

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

            From: will_cef_1@...
            Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 00:04:53 +0000

            I am trying to plan my JMT trek and my options seem to be that I may arrive at TM on Saturday afternoon, or on Sunday morning. I don't want to stay at TM any longer than I have to. I want to pick up my supplies and get on the trail.

            SO, my question...are there options for package pickup at TM outside of postoffice pickup? Does the store allow you to mail the package to them and pick up on Sunday? Are there other options?

            Just curious....want to know what other options are available..I know Roleigh has been thinking about it.

          • frankedselsmith
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2013
              I had the same issue a few years ago. I checked with the PO and they indicated that the store which is next to the PO would retrieve my food package if they were not too busy. When I arrived Sunday morning, they were busy but were very helpful and retrieved my package.