Re: [John Muir Trail] Bear Can "Requirement"?

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2013
      There were PCT thru-hikers who used to blow off the requirements (it seems, fewer now).  But I don't think they ever were exempted from the usual rules

      On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 1:16 PM, scriv.ener <jeffreyn@...> wrote:

      There's plenty of truth about bear cans making food safe, and certainly one can sleep better without constantly having to monitor the well being of food stashed any other way. But I seem to remember something of an exception - at least it USED to be in the regs - for "thru-hikers," perhaps conditioned upon the use of bear boxes when in certain areas such as Rae Lakes. Anybody know what that detail might be?