Re: Long Term Parking at Tuolumne Meadows?

  • gkahn21
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2013
      eh, there is only one wilderness permit center in TM. The one near the store is the campground office. The permit center is 1/4 to 1/2 mile up the road from the store.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, robert shattuck wrote:

      > There are two permit centers in TM . . . the one near the store and then the other one, down the road a ways. . . it's also got lots of bear boxes so you can store stuff long-term. it's a large, paved, parking lot.
    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2013
        The office near  the store isn't for wilderness permits, just for campground reservations. Only office for permits is the one about 1 mile down the road towards the lodge.  There's long term parking there, and also another lot further up that side road to the lodge.  And it's fine to long term park on the stables road too.

        Barbara

        On Feb 1, 2013, at 12:13 PM, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...> wrote:

        "There’s a small parking lot there and a smelly toilet and . . . "

        Long-term parking is down 120 a bit more at the wilderness permit center––about a five minute drive east e on 120 past the store––it's on the right. Park there forever. you can return bear cans there and the bathrooms are pretty clean.

        There are two permit centers in TM . . . the one near the store and then the other one, down the road a ways. . . it's also got lots of bear boxes so you can store stuff long-term. it's a large, paved, parking lot.

        I've never used either of these offices for anything, other than to return a canister, but my buddy always starts in TM and always parks here . . . once for 26 days, no problem.  Just make absolutely sure your car is clean and free of food smells and or visual cues––like do not assume that because your ice chest is empty and you only had a few cans of soda in it, that the bears won'r want to get at it, when they see it in the front seat.

        I have a slight feeling that a lot of car-campers use the permit office, next to the store . . . you see a lot of folks there, lined up in the morning, who just don't look like they're going backpacking––which is to say, that if I was in TM and looking to get a walk-in, I might jump on the free shuttle, or drive down to the Wilderness Permit Office, to score my JMT permit.

        Not saying it's a guarantee, but it beats standing around with a bunch of people trying to get spots to park their motor homes.

      • robert shattuck
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2013
          " eh, there is only one wilderness permit center in TM. The one near the store is the campground office. The permit center is 1/4 to 1/2 mile up the road from the store."

          yeah, as I said, or suspected––the one at the store isn't for backpackers––so now we know not to make that mistake. Imagine if you got into TM, found that office, camped there all night and into the morning, only to find out you were at the wrong permit office.

          Bob

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 21:04:04 +0000