Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: What comes next after the JMT?

    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 1, 2013
      You can do the High Sierra Trail as a lasso-loop round trip that is nearly the same as the JMT in length.  I've done it.  Great hike.

      Start in Crescent Meadows in SEKI.
      At Kern River meetup on HST, go downriver, not upriver (as the HST states), go downriver 9 miles to Kern Canyon Ranger Station where there is a suspension bridge over the river.

      Cross river, go east about 18 miles to Horseshoe Meadows TH, resupply via Lone Pine (Whitney SHuttle SErvice or hitchhike from TH to Lone Pine), stay overnight in Dow Villa, enjoy hot spa, and get back to Horseshoe Meadows TH before 24 hours has elapsed to avoid losing your permit.  Get back onto trail but head north on the PCT up to Crabtree Meadows.  From there go up to Whitney Summit and Back, then head back to Crescent Meadows via the normal HST route, and you'll get back to the Kern River junction where you originally went downriver, but now you'll stay on the HST to get back to Crescent Meadows.  Great hike.  You'd need two maps Tom Harrison SEKI/Whitney high country map and the Golden Trout Wilderness map from Tom Harrison.

      Advantage of this hike is that you end up where you started, easier to deal with logistics.  There is a shuttle bus from Crescent Meadows to Lodgepole, and from there to Visalia, CA where there is a small airport or buses to major airports.
      _

      On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM, bogartmag <bogartmag@...> wrote:

      All,

      Thanks very much for your suggestions. The Haute Route looks spectacular, but I think too pricey for me at the moment. In no particular order, these look great:

      -Wonderland Trail
      -High Sierra Trail
      -Hayduke Trail
      -Glacier National Park Northern Loop
      -Tahoe - Yosemitee

      Obviously length varies greatly between them, so I think circumstances will determine which I end up doing. And, of course, I want to do the JMT again at some point.

      Sam

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl" wrote:

      > Reading this topic has left me salivating and panting.
      > Darryl
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bogartmag" wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > I did the JMT this past summer. It was my first long trail and a fantastic experience. I'm starting to consider what I want to do next. I'm open to pretty much anything (i.e. 50-400 miles).
      > >
      > > What's your dream trip?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Sam

    • LEBRUN
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 1, 2013
        Lake Tahoe to Mt Whitney about 400 trail miles (PCT).