Long Term Parking at Tuolumne Meadows?

  • Ralph Alcorn
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1 9:43 AM

      Anyone know where the long term parking is at Tuolumne Meadows? The nps site says it is available, but doesn't say where. Neither does this group's files. Last time I parked on the road to the stables just north of the highway by the wilderness center, but that wasn't an "official" site.

      --
      Ralph Alcorn
      backpack45.comtimecheck00.blogspot.com

    • cjoslyn99
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1 9:55 AM
        There's not really such a thing. Except a few places where they may
        restrict overnight parking (maybe the TM grill?), you can park pretty
        much anywhere "long term" for your hike along Tioga Road. I normally
        park at the wilderness center lot, which is closest, for Lyell Canyon
        TH. If you're going northwards, could try the Lembert Dome parking area
        or anywhere you can pull off the road.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Alcorn wrote:

        > Anyone know where the long term parking is at Tuolumne Meadows? The
        nps
        > site says it is available, but doesn't say where. Neither does this
        group's
        > files. Last time I parked on the road to the stables just north of the
        > highway by the wilderness center, but that wasn't an "official" site.
        >

        > --
        > Ralph Alcorn
        > backpack45.com, timecheck00.blogspot.com
        > Shepherd Canyon books, Publisher of
        > *Patagonia Chronicle: On Foot in Torres del Paine*,
        > *Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago*
        > *We're in the Mountains, Not Over the Hill: Tales and Tips from
        Seasoned
        > Women Backpackers* - all available on Kindle

      • Barbara Karagosian
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1 10:31 AM

          I know!  It’s on the side road that runs to the south of the main road, beside Lembert Dome.  It may be signposted “to the stables”.  There’s a small parking lot there and a smelly toilet and picnic tables, and the road heads off from there.  Gravelly.   It’s quite long and there are bear boxes both half way up it, and also at the end.  Beware of parking too close to the car in front of you, lest you get boxed in by an idiot parking close to the back of you!

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1 12:13 PM
            "There’s a small parking lot there and a smelly toilet and . . . "

            Long-term parking is down 120 a bit more at the wilderness permit center––about a five minute drive east e on 120 past the store––it's on the right. Park there forever. you can return bear cans there and the bathrooms are pretty clean.

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/phidong/4797939548/in/photostream/

            There are two permit centers in TM . . . the one near the store and then the other one, down the road a ways. . . it's also got lots of bear boxes so you can store stuff long-term. it's a large, paved, parking lot.

            I've never used either of these offices for anything, other than to return a canister, but my buddy always starts in TM and always parks here . . . once for 26 days, no problem.  Just make absolutely sure your car is clean and free of food smells and or visual cues––like do not assume that because your ice chest is empty and you only had a few cans of soda in it, that the bears won'r want to get at it, when they see it in the front seat.

            I have a slight feeling that a lot of car-campers use the permit office, next to the store . . . you see a lot of folks there, lined up in the morning, who just don't look like they're going backpacking––which is to say, that if I was in TM and looking to get a walk-in, I might jump on the free shuttle, or drive down to the Wilderness Permit Office, to score my JMT permit.

            Not saying it's a guarantee, but it beats standing around with a bunch of people trying to get spots to park their motor homes.

            BOB

          • gkahn21
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1 1:04 PM
              eh, there is only one wilderness permit center in TM. The one near the store is the campground office. The permit center is 1/4 to 1/2 mile up the road from the store.

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1 3:19 PM
                  " eh, there is only one wilderness permit center in TM. The one near the store is the campground office. The permit center is 1/4 to 1/2 mile up the road from the store."

                  yeah, as I said, or suspected––the one at the store isn't for backpackers––so now we know not to make that mistake. Imagine if you got into TM, found that office, camped there all night and into the morning, only to find out you were at the wrong permit office.

                  Bob

                  To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                  From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 21:04:04 +0000