Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: I am very early in the thought process--how many days for the trail?

  • Larry Beck
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2013
      I would suggest getting friends to hike over Kearsarge Pass to Chalotte Lake to bring you a resupply. That would cut the long, tough section that Frank is talking about in half.

      Larry

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2013
        Larry,

        It sounds to me like Frank did it right! I consider it perfect planning if as I'm trekking the last mile to my car I'm tucking into my pocket the wrapper from the last snack bar. I think you're S'POZED to end up with nothing! It's like carrying water to water, makes no sense.

        Seriously, though, there have been discussions here in the recent past about hiring a wrangler to do a dunnage drop near the ranger station, and others have suggested asking friends to rendez-vous (anybody know how good the fishing is at Charlotte?).

        If one considers it ten days from VVR to WP, at a pound-and-a-half a day, that's 15 pounds leaving Lake Edison. With a base weight in the 15-pound area, it means a pack of 30 pounds or so - but only for a few days, and by the time one reaches VVR 30# isn't a problem anyway.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Larry Beck wrote:

        > I would suggest getting friends to hike over Kearsarge Pass
        > to Chalotte Lake to bring you a resupply.
        > That would cut the long, tough section that Frank is
        > talking about in half.
        > Larry
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1, 2013
          Charlotte Lake is pretty fished out from my experience the last couple times. Caught a lot of very small fish. On the other hand Rae Lakes, Areowhead Lake, and Dollar Lake have some great fishing! I have caught, ( and released ), a lot of Goldens in Dollar Lake...pretty fish!
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "scriv.ener" wrote:

          > Larry,
          >
          > It sounds to me like Frank did it right! I consider it perfect planning if as I'm trekking the last mile to my car I'm tucking into my pocket the wrapper from the last snack bar. I think you're S'POZED to end up with nothing! It's like carrying water to water, makes no sense.
          >
          > Seriously, though, there have been discussions here in the recent past about hiring a wrangler to do a dunnage drop near the ranger station, and others have suggested asking friends to rendez-vous (anybody know how good the fishing is at Charlotte?).
          >
          > If one considers it ten days from VVR to WP, at a pound-and-a-half a day, that's 15 pounds leaving Lake Edison. With a base weight in the 15-pound area, it means a pack of 30 pounds or so - but only for a few days, and by the time one reaches VVR 30# isn't a problem anyway.
          >
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Larry Beck wrote:
          > >
          > > I would suggest getting friends to hike over Kearsarge Pass
          > > to Chalotte Lake to bring you a resupply.
          > > That would cut the long, tough section that Frank is
          > > talking about in half.
          > > Larry
          > >

          > > ________________________________

        • robert shattuck
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 1, 2013
            "I have caught, ( and released ), a lot of Goldens in Dollar Lake...pretty fish! "

            Yes, to Dollar Lake . . . I don't fish* (but if I see you have a pole, I seem to show up whenever you sit down to fry 'em up) but at Dollar, you can sit there on the trail and dangle your line in . . . there are a lot of fish and they really like trader joe's dried mango.

            *but I have tried the grasshoppers on the Bighorn Plateau

            BOB

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            From: rnperky@...
            Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 01:22:29 +0000

            Charlotte Lake is pretty fished out from my experience the last couple times. Caught a lot of very small fish. On the other hand Rae Lakes, Areowhead Lake, and Dollar Lake have some great fishing! I have caught, ( and released ), a lot of Goldens in Dollar Lake...pretty fish!
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "scriv.ener" wrote:

            > Larry,
            >
            > It sounds to me like Frank did it right! I consider it perfect planning if as I'm trekking the last mile to my car I'm tucking into my pocket the wrapper from the last snack bar. I think you're S'POZED to end up with nothing! It's like carrying water to water, makes no sense.
            >
            > Seriously, though, there have been discussions here in the recent past about hiring a wrangler to do a dunnage drop near the ranger station, and others have suggested asking friends to rendez-vous (anybody know how good the fishing is at Charlotte?).
            >
            > If one considers it ten days from VVR to WP, at a pound-and-a-half a day, that's 15 pounds leaving Lake Edison. With a base weight in the 15-pound area, it means a pack of 30 pounds or so - but only for a few days, and by the time one reaches VVR 30# isn't a problem anyway.
            >
            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Larry Beck wrote:
            > >
            > > I would suggest getting friends to hike over Kearsarge Pass
            > > to Chalotte Lake to bring you a resupply.
            > > That would cut the long, tough section that Frank is
            > > talking about in half.
            > > Larry
            > >

            > > ________________________________

          • Ray Rippel
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 1, 2013
              Speaking of fishing in the Sierra Nevada, I thought I read somewhere that some government agency (NPS, BLM, another one?) was incrementally killing off all the trout in the lakes with the goal to eliminate the "invasive" species. Anyone else heard of that?

              Now that I've typed that on the page, it looks pretty ridiculous. Probably a non-urban legend.
            • tamirph
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 1, 2013
                Thank you for all of the replies! I am even more excited now. I am hoping to start over Labor Day weekend if I can get the time off of work and the permit! I can take the week before Labor Day and the 3 weeks after Labor Day off but as of right now they have blacked out the Tuesday after Labor Day...

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "tamirph" wrote:

                > Hello, I turned 40 this year and one thing on my list of things to do for my 40th birthday was a thru hike on the trail. I am trying to determine if I can get enough time off of work. I can not take 30 days...can possibly get 3 weeks off with a few extra days on the ends. Is it worth it or better to put it off until we have more time?
                >
                > We push hard when backpacking to maximize distances--pretty focused when the packs are on our backs. We enjoy lunch breaks for scenery--get the packs off, put our feet up. We did a 6 night/7 day Glacier backpack and covered over 80 miles...and that was limited by our hiking partner on that trip. We don't fish and zero days are taken to hike side trails
                >
                > Just thought I would ask! Thanks for all the help!
                > Tami

              • Don
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 2, 2013
                  Not a legend at all Ray, much to the chagrin of fishermen (and women).

                  http://www.nps.gov/seki/naturescience/mountain-yellow-legged-frogs.htm

                  High Sierra Topix forum has a list of specific fisheries that are fishless due to the seining.