Re: Sierra High Route/PCT

  • scriv.ener
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 30, 2013
      Joe,

      I particularly enjoyed the off-trail navigation. Of course, if first you go to any of the many websites where others have documented their trips, you'll recognize one landmark after another and it won't be like groping along the dark side of the moon.

      Just as Roper says, the climb from Cartridge Basin to Frozen Lake Pass (Vernacher Needle) is treacherous. You're clambering over big boulders and it seems every other one tips as soon as you touch it. At 12,500 feet the air is thin, perhaps particularly so for me because just four nights before I had been asleep in my bed at 38' of elevation! (Wait, the bed is about 3' off the floor, so make that 41 feet.) The point is that you're well off trail up near the pass, the terrain is precarious and the altitude is demanding, so take extra precautions.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" wrote:

      > Jeffrey:
      >
      > Thanks for the info. Maybe if I can't find a partner I
      > will take an extra day or so and go at whatever pace I
      > can maintain and not worry about the end date.
      >
      > Joe
    • frankedselsmith
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 31, 2013
        I should have included in the original post that my timeframe is mid August. As far as itinerary I would follow the advice of someone more experience such as you. For me a big issue is logistics and logistics since I live in the mid west and not in CA.