permit question

  • Debra Podesta
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 27, 2013

      I am planning a section hike, Onion Vallet to Whitney Portal for August. I think this route does not require the lottery, but when and how would you recommend getting the permit?
      I'm thinking I can apply on Feb 1st, am I right?
      Thanks,
      Debra
    • jaymiche@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 27, 2013
        You are correct on the dates. Purchase the permit reservation at Recreation.gov. Search for wilderness permits in the Inyo National Forest. You are doing an "Overnight Exiting Mt Whitney" trip starting from the Kearsarge Pass -JM31 trailhead. Kepp in mind this only gets you a reservation. The actual permit you need to pickup at a ranger station the day before your start... see rules on late pickups etc.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Debra Podesta wrote:

        > I am planning a section hike, Onion Vallet to Whitney Portal for August. I think this route does not require the lottery, but when and how would you recommend getting the permit?
        > I'm thinking I can apply on Feb 1st, am I right?
        > Thanks,
        > Debra

      • Barbara Karagosian
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 27, 2013

          You can apply 6 months to the day for when you want to go.  So Feb 1 for leaving Aug 1, etc.  You need to know the date you plan to exit Whitney as well (tho they won’t hold you to it if you’re early or delayed, but you do have to start on the day you asked for).  Also have a rough idea of where you’re going to camp each night – you need to put that in online when you apply for your permit too, even tho no-one is going to hold you to that either.

          I suggest you get a user name and password for recreation.gov ahead of time, if you don’t already have one – that’ll save you time on the day you’re actually plying online for your reservation.

          Good luck! I’m planning the same trip myself this year too.

          Barbara

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 27, 2013
            Thank you and Jaymichele for the info. I had always got the permits from the state park site I started from, didn't know about the recreation.gov site, and you get to know right away instead of waiting for the mail. very cool. THX

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 28, 2013
              I am watching the calendar too and here are the dates from the nps web page:
              http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermitdates.htm

              I am planning to start applying from Feb 6 for the JMT permit (6 available per day from HI) to start around last week of July 2013

              Feb 1 Jul 19
              Feb 2 Jul 20
              Feb 3 Jul 21
              Feb 4 Jul 22
              Feb 5 Jul 23
              Feb 6 Jul 24
              Feb 7 Jul 25
              Feb 8 Jul 26
              Feb 9 Jul 27
              Feb 10 Jul 28
              Feb 11 Jul 29
              Feb 12 Jul 30
              Feb 13 Jul 31
              Feb 14 Aug 1
              Feb 15 Aug 2

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian" wrote:

              > You can apply 6 months to the day for when you want to go. So Feb 1 for
              > leaving Aug 1, etc. You need to know the date you plan to exit Whitney as
              > well (tho they won't hold you to it if you're early or delayed, but you do
              > have to start on the day you asked for). Also have a rough idea of where
              > you're going to camp each night - you need to put that in online when you
              > apply for your permit too, even tho no-one is going to hold you to that
              > either.
              >

              > I suggest you get a user name and password for recreation.gov ahead of time,
              > if you don't already have one - that'll save you time on the day you're
              > actually plying online for your reservation.
              >

              > Good luck! I'm planning the same trip myself this year too.
              >

              > Barbara

            • Dale Stuart

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 28, 2013
                    My plan is to take 2 cars, leave one at Whitney Portal drive the other to Mt. Williamson Motel in Independence. I believe from there we can shuttle to the trail head and leave the car at the motel. Need to reconfirm this.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 28, 2013
                      Traffic up there is pretty light. If you started up the road you'd eventually get a ride. I tried to catch a ride down from Onion Valley in Aug. one year and gave up after an hour. One car left the lot during that time and it got by me before I could attach myself to the hood ornament. Last year I came off the trail, asked the first guy I saw heading for a car and we snagged a ride to the wonderful Mt. Williamson motor motel.
                      There are the shuttles of course-pricey. I prefer hitching because of the entertainment value.