What comes next after the JMT?

  • bogartmag
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 27, 2013
      Hi all,

      I did the JMT this past summer. It was my first long trail and a fantastic experience. I'm starting to consider what I want to do next. I'm open to pretty much anything (i.e. 50-400 miles).

      What's your dream trip?

      Thanks,
      Sam
    • Ray Rippel
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 27, 2013
        Great question, Sam. I had started to look into the Colorado Trail. It's 500 miles. I even bought a couple maps and a guide. Then, after some real soul searching, I decided to do the JMT again, and again.

        I'm from Hawaii, and I often consider how the same stretch of beach is a little (or a lot) different every day. I suspect the trail is the same.

        Good hiking, Ray

        Ray Rippel

        Author, Planning Your Thru-Hike of the John Muir Trail

        http://jmtbook.com/

        Follow me at: www.twitter.com/JMTBook

        Look for Ray Rippel on Google+

      • Brad M. Stevens
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 27, 2013

          We have done the JMT a few times.  We are now planning a trip along the Camino de Santiago.  2014 will be the soonest we will get this planned.   Here is a google map.

          http://goo.gl/z5AwO

          -scoutboy aka Brad M. Stevens

        • Bill Heiser
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 27, 2013
            My JMT thru-hike last summer was my first long trail too.  Right after I finished, a friend asked me if I'd do it again.  I waffled a bit in my response.  While I wasn't in a hurry for the trip to end, I think the 30 days I spent left me feeling "fulfilled" or "satisfied".

            Now just 5 months later I'm anxious to get out there again.  I see myself doing the JMT again for sure - though I'd again opt for a longer-than-typical duration, so it's tough to arrange.  In the meantime I'll do segments.

            I've always had a desire to hike the AT too.  I'm less sure about that now as it seems like it'd be less of a wilderness experience than the JMT and more dealing with schlepping into towns for resupplies.

            January 27, 2013 2:04 PM

            Great question, Sam. I had started to look into the Colorado Trail. It's 500 miles. I even bought a couple maps and a guide. Then, after some real soul searching, I decided to do the JMT again, and again.

            I'm from Hawaii, and I often consider how the same stretch of beach is a little (or a lot) different every day. I suspect the trail is the same.

            Good hiking, Ray

            Ray Rippel

            Author, Planning Your Thru-Hike of the John Muir Trail

            http://jmtbook.com/

            Follow me at: www.twitter.com/JMTBook

            Look for Ray Rippel on Google+

            January 27, 2013 1:54 PM

            Hi all,

            I did the JMT this past summer. It was my first long trail and a fantastic experience. I'm starting to consider what I want to do next. I'm open to pretty much anything (i.e. 50-400 miles).

            What's your dream trip?

            Thanks,
            Sam

        • Jeremy foltz

            Message 6 of 29 , Jan 27, 2013
              The Sierra High Route. The Inca Trail. Circumnavigating Everest.

              ~Jeffrey

            • jaymiche@ymail.com
              Message 7 of 29 , Jan 27, 2013
                Superior Hiking Trail or the Tahoo Rim Trail that was suggested a few months ago

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "scriv.ener" wrote:

                > The Sierra High Route. The Inca Trail. Circumnavigating Everest.
                >
                > ~Jeffrey
                >
                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bogartmag" wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi all,
                > >
                > > I did the JMT this past summer. It was my first long trail and a fantastic experience. I'm starting to consider what I want to do next. I'm open to pretty much anything (i.e. 50-400 miles).
                > >
                > > What's your dream trip?
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > Sam

              • Joe MacLeish
                Message 8 of 29 , Jan 27, 2013

                  Sam:

                  I’ve done the JMT twice and am planning a return for my 70th birthday (summer after this one coming).  This year I am looking at the Sierra High Route (a one week segment).  It looks to be a different kind of trip with mostly cross country and above the timber line.  The SHR is off trail so it is less safe solo than the JMT so I am looking for a partner which is always dicey.  The SHR is 195 miles but I only have one week this year.

                  Joe

                  Message 9 of 29 , Jan 27, 2013
                    What we did was the PCT, two three week trips a year. Finished in 2010.

                    --
                    Ralph Alcorn
                    backpack45.comtimecheck00.blogspot.com

                  • Barbara Karagosian
                    Message 10 of 29 , Jan 27, 2013
                      South West Coast Path in Cornwall and Devon, UK.  600+ miles.

                      Barbara

                      On Jan 27, 2013, at 2:50 PM, "jaymiche@..." <jaymiche@...> wrote:

                      Superior Hiking Trail or the Tahoo Rim Trail that was suggested a few months ago

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "scriv.ener" wrote:

                      > The Sierra High Route. The Inca Trail. Circumnavigating Everest.
                      >
                      > ~Jeffrey
                      >
                      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bogartmag" wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi all,
                      > >
                      > > I did the JMT this past summer. It was my first long trail and a fantastic experience. I'm starting to consider what I want to do next. I'm open to pretty much anything (i.e. 50-400 miles).
                      > >
                      > > What's your dream trip?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks,
                      > > Sam

                    • David Carbiener
                      Message 11 of 29 , Jan 27, 2013
                        I’ve hiked the JMT three times now.  It never gets boring.
                        This year I’m seriously looking into the Tahoe Yosemite Trail – 185 miles.
                      • sanfran_rwood
                        Message 12 of 29 , Jan 27, 2013
                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Karagosian wrote:

                          > South West Coast Path in Cornwall and Devon, UK. 600+ miles.
                          >
                          > Barbara

                          I was looking into the Wales Coast Path (the entire 870 miles of coastal Wales), or maybe just the southern portion, the Pembrokeshire Coast Path, which is 186 miles long, but then I discovered that "wild camping" isn't generally permitted (e.g., actual backcountry camping). This is a frontcountry trail, and hiking from B&B to B&B is the norm, and becoming an important part of the local economy. Spending evenings in a pub by a cozy fire chatting with locals and other travelers does sound like a nice change.

                          But real wilderness backpacking is pretty rare where humans have been around that long.

                          I'm torn between just doing more of the North American long trails, especially the Pacific Northwest Trail or maybe the Bigfoot Trail; or going back to the excellent backpacking of New Zealand, or looking into something completely new.

                          BTW, see:
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-distance_trails_in_the_United_States and
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_long-distance_footpaths
                          --
                          Richard

                        • Bob Larimore
                          Message 13 of 29 , Jan 27, 2013
                            Might consider the Northern Loop in Glacier N.P. A buddy and I hiked 90+ miles in Glacier this past August. The scenery was phenomenal, there are some nice summit possibilities for all skill levels, and the wildlife sightings (moose and griz) were an added bonus.

                            Sent from my iPhone
                          • Barbara Karagosian
                            Message 14 of 29 , Jan 27, 2013

                              There’s a guy who’s hiking (and camping or sleeping out) the entre coastline of the UK right now.  He’s at the Devon end right now.  See his Facebook – “Christian around Britain>”

                              > South West Coast Path in Cornwall and Devon, UK. 600+ miles.
                              >
                              > Barbara

                              I was looking into the Wales Coast Path (the entire 870 miles of coastal Wales), or maybe just the southern portion, the Pembrokeshire Coast Path, which is 186 miles long, but then I discovered that "wild camping" isn't generally permitted (e.g., actual backcountry camping). This is a frontcountry trail, and hiking from B&B to B&B is the norm, and becoming an important part of the local economy. Spending evenings in a pub by a cozy fire chatting with locals and other travelers does sound like a nice change.

                              But real wilderness backpacking is pretty rare where humans have been around that long.

                              I'm torn between just doing more of the North American long trails, especially the Pacific Northwest Trail or maybe the Bigfoot Trail; or going back to the excellent backpacking of New Zealand, or looking into something completely new.

                              BTW, see:
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-distance_trails_in_the_United_States and
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_long-distance_footpaths
                              --
                              Richard

                            • Ned Tibbits
                              Message 15 of 29 , Jan 27, 2013
                                Not much can beat the John Muir Trail! That’s why people do it so many times...

                                The Sierra High Route is a great route, but it is only a “trail” in some places, the rest is cross-country. Not everyone who has hiked the JMT multiple times and in both directions may be up for this type of navigation and effort.

                                Now, on the other hand...the JMT under snow is a whole new experience and the beauty is only magnified! Truly, it is as if you are on a completely different trail!

                                Ned Tibbits, Director
                                Mountain Education
                                www.mountaineducation.org

                                Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2013 5:23 PM
                                Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] What comes next after the JMT?

                                I’ve hiked the JMT three times now.  It never gets boring.
                                This year I’m seriously looking into the Tahoe Yosemite Trail – 185 miles.
                              • rb
                                Message 16 of 29 , Jan 27, 2013
                                  The Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier. About 100 miles with a possible addition of more miles on the Northern Loop.

                                  The West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island. Quite different from the JMT and likely to be a much wetter but a spectacular coastal trip. About 47 miles but slow going in many places so many folks take a week or close to it.

                                  I've done both these twice and wouldn't hesitate for a third.

                                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bogartmag" wrote:

                                  > Hi all,
                                  >
                                  > I did the JMT this past summer. It was my first long trail and a fantastic experience. I'm starting to consider what I want to do next. I'm open to pretty much anything (i.e. 50-400 miles).
                                  >
                                  > What's your dream trip?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  > Sam

                                • Herb
                                  Message 17 of 29 , Jan 27, 2013
                                    Sam--

                                    The Wonderland Trail rivals the JMT for "classic" hikes. One of the best loops in the world.

                                    Herb

                                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bogartmag" wrote:

                                    > Hi all,
                                    >
                                    > I did the JMT this past summer. It was my first long trail and a fantastic experience. I'm starting to consider what I want to do next. I'm open to pretty much anything (i.e. 50-400 miles).
                                    >
                                    > What's your dream trip?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks,
                                    > Sam

                                  • Peter Wells
                                    Message 18 of 29 , Jan 28, 2013
                                      GR10 - Atlantic to the Mediterranean through the Pyrenees  -  French side
                                      GR11 - Atlantic to the Mediterranean through the Pyrenees  -  Spanish side
                                      HRP ( High Route Pyrenees) Atlantic to the Mediterranean through the Pyrenees -  along the frontier
                                      or a combination of all three.
                                    • LEBRUN
                                      Message 19 of 29 , Jan 28, 2013
                                        Lake Tahoe to Whitney.

                                        http://tahoetowhitney.com/

                                        R/
                                        Bruce

                                        On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 2:54 PM, bogartmag <bogartmag@...> wrote:

                                        Hi all,

                                        I did the JMT this past summer. It was my first long trail and a fantastic experience. I'm starting to consider what I want to do next. I'm open to pretty much anything (i.e. 50-400 miles).

                                        What's your dream trip?

                                        Thanks,
                                        Sam

                                      • krishna9012
                                        Message 20 of 29 , Jan 28, 2013
                                          I consider Himalayas are the most beautiful and youngest mountains in the world. So any hikes in the foothills would challenge the JMT veterans just because of the heights. Of course, Sierras are my next best favorites. We did the Kathmandu - Mt. Kailash/Tibet - Kathmandu a few years back and I can tell you its not for faint-hearted! Mostly we are moving thru undulating landscape around 15000 ft. and the highest pass on the NW side of Mt. Kailash we passed thru is Dolama-La at 18600ft. My friends did & liked Annapurna circle and trek to Everest base camp. One thing common to all these hikes is that they are the most luxurious hikes one can imagine! The outfitter provides you with a group of Sherpas who will carry your food, tents, filtered water etc and you just walk with a day pack! We had one sherpa walking behind us with two big flasks, one with hot coffee and one with hot chai among the most magnificent scenery all around dwarfing you! No need to worry about food drops and paying $300/- for a 15 lb package!

                                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Ned Tibbits" wrote:

                                          > Not much can beat the John Muir Trail! That’s why people do it so many times...
                                          >
                                          > The Sierra High Route is a great route, but it is only a “trail” in some places, the rest is cross-country. Not everyone who has hiked the JMT multiple times and in both directions may be up for this type of navigation and effort.
                                          >
                                          > Now, on the other hand...the JMT under snow is a whole new experience and the beauty is only magnified! Truly, it is as if you are on a completely different trail!
                                          >

                                          > Ned Tibbits, Director
                                          > Mountain Education
                                          > www.mountaineducation.org

                                        • ravi_jmt2013
                                          Message 21 of 29 , Jan 28, 2013
                                            Definitely in the "daydreaming" category for now but a late summer PCT section hike mostly free of snow from Kennedy Meadows South to Lake Tahoe sounds like a great way to spend a month in 2014...

                                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bogartmag" wrote:

                                            > Hi all,
                                            >
                                            > I did the JMT this past summer. It was my first long trail and a fantastic experience. I'm starting to consider what I want to do next. I'm open to pretty much anything (i.e. 50-400 miles).
                                            >
                                            > What's your dream trip?
                                            >
                                            > Thanks,
                                            > Sam

                                          • Rebecca Tatum White
                                            Message 22 of 29 , Jan 28, 2013
                                              Colorado Trail.
                                              Arizona Trail.
                                              :)
                                            • Wilderness
                                              Message 23 of 29 , Jan 28, 2013
                                                If you want diversity, and a whopping dose of contrast to the JMT, hike the Hayduke Trail.

                                                http://www.hayduketrail.org/

                                                Not at all a civilized trail, although parts are well-known. I've hike large segments of the route, yet not the whole honker. Any Ed Abbey readers - this will perk your interest. There is a book by the same name.

                                                http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm/ref/collection/upcat/id/1405

                                                Rob of the WV

                                                http://wildernessvagabond.com/

                                                https://www.facebook.com/WildernessVagabond

                                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Herb" wrote:

                                                > Sam--
                                                >
                                                > The Wonderland Trail rivals the JMT for "classic" hikes. One of the best loops in the world.
                                                >
                                                > Herb
                                                >
                                                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bogartmag" wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > Hi all,
                                                > >
                                                > > I did the JMT this past summer. It was my first long trail and a fantastic experience. I'm starting to consider what I want to do next. I'm open to pretty much anything (i.e. 50-400 miles).
                                                > >
                                                > > What's your dream trip?
                                                > >
                                                > > Thanks,
                                                > > Sam

                                              • Rick Beebe
                                                Message 24 of 29 , Jan 28, 2013

                                                  The Walker’s Haute Route, between Chamonix (France) and Zermatt (Switzerland).  Next to the Sierra and the Himalaya, the Alps are the most beautiful mountains in the world, and of course hiking in the Alps is incredibly civilized.

                                                  --Rick

                                                • Darryl
                                                  Message 25 of 29 , Jan 29, 2013
                                                    Reading this topic has left me salivating and panting.
                                                    Darryl

                                                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bogartmag" wrote:

                                                    > Hi all,
                                                    >
                                                    > I did the JMT this past summer. It was my first long trail and a fantastic experience. I'm starting to consider what I want to do next. I'm open to pretty much anything (i.e. 50-400 miles).
                                                    >
                                                    > What's your dream trip?
                                                    >
                                                    > Thanks,
                                                    > Sam

                                                  • bogartmag
                                                    Message 26 of 29 , Feb 1, 2013
                                                      All,

                                                      Thanks very much for your suggestions. The Haute Route looks spectacular, but I think too pricey for me at the moment. In no particular order, these look great:

                                                      -Wonderland Trail
                                                      -High Sierra Trail
                                                      -Hayduke Trail
                                                      -Glacier National Park Northern Loop
                                                      -Tahoe - Yosemitee

                                                      Obviously length varies greatly between them, so I think circumstances will determine which I end up doing. And, of course, I want to do the JMT again at some point.

                                                      Sam

                                                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl" wrote:

                                                      > Reading this topic has left me salivating and panting.
                                                      > Darryl
                                                      >
                                                      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bogartmag" wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Hi all,
                                                      > >
                                                      > > I did the JMT this past summer. It was my first long trail and a fantastic experience. I'm starting to consider what I want to do next. I'm open to pretty much anything (i.e. 50-400 miles).
                                                      > >
                                                      > > What's your dream trip?
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Thanks,
                                                      > > Sam

                                                    • frankedselsmith
                                                      Message 27 of 29 , Feb 1, 2013
                                                        Ah, the Wonderland Trail. I did this in 2005. Great trip and tremendous scenery. I plan to do it again. The park permit process was challenging though. You are always next to Rainier.

                                                        GNP Northern Loop is also a great--though short--hike. Permits were tough to get. Do it in early September when there are fewer people.

                                                        But the JMT is tops!

                                                        Message 28 of 29 , Feb 1, 2013
                                                          You can do the High Sierra Trail as a lasso-loop round trip that is nearly the same as the JMT in length.  I've done it.  Great hike.

                                                          Start in Crescent Meadows in SEKI.
                                                          At Kern River meetup on HST, go downriver, not upriver (as the HST states), go downriver 9 miles to Kern Canyon Ranger Station where there is a suspension bridge over the river.

                                                          Cross river, go east about 18 miles to Horseshoe Meadows TH, resupply via Lone Pine (Whitney SHuttle SErvice or hitchhike from TH to Lone Pine), stay overnight in Dow Villa, enjoy hot spa, and get back to Horseshoe Meadows TH before 24 hours has elapsed to avoid losing your permit.  Get back onto trail but head north on the PCT up to Crabtree Meadows.  From there go up to Whitney Summit and Back, then head back to Crescent Meadows via the normal HST route, and you'll get back to the Kern River junction where you originally went downriver, but now you'll stay on the HST to get back to Crescent Meadows.  Great hike.  You'd need two maps Tom Harrison SEKI/Whitney high country map and the Golden Trout Wilderness map from Tom Harrison.

                                                          Advantage of this hike is that you end up where you started, easier to deal with logistics.  There is a shuttle bus from Crescent Meadows to Lodgepole, and from there to Visalia, CA where there is a small airport or buses to major airports.
                                                          _

                                                          On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM, bogartmag <bogartmag@...> wrote:

                                                          All,

                                                          Thanks very much for your suggestions. The Haute Route looks spectacular, but I think too pricey for me at the moment. In no particular order, these look great:

                                                          -Wonderland Trail
                                                          -High Sierra Trail
                                                          -Hayduke Trail
                                                          -Glacier National Park Northern Loop
                                                          -Tahoe - Yosemitee

                                                          Obviously length varies greatly between them, so I think circumstances will determine which I end up doing. And, of course, I want to do the JMT again at some point.

                                                          Sam

                                                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl" wrote:

                                                          > Reading this topic has left me salivating and panting.
                                                          > Darryl
                                                          >
                                                          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bogartmag" wrote:
                                                          > >
                                                          > > Hi all,
                                                          > >
                                                          > > I did the JMT this past summer. It was my first long trail and a fantastic experience. I'm starting to consider what I want to do next. I'm open to pretty much anything (i.e. 50-400 miles).
                                                          > >
                                                          > > What's your dream trip?
                                                          > >
                                                          > > Thanks,
                                                          > > Sam

                                                        • LEBRUN
                                                          Message 29 of 29 , Feb 1, 2013
                                                            Lake Tahoe to Mt Whitney about 400 trail miles (PCT).