Campsites within Yosemite National Park and JMT

  • careycantril
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 22, 2013
      I am trying to learn some information about campsites regarding; prices, permits. While hiking on the JMT are all the campsites basically first-come-first-serve? Do any of the campsites require a payment? And while hiking around Yosemite what is deal with campsites?
      Thanks
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 22, 2013
        On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 5:32 PM, careycantril <careycantril@...> wrote:

        I am trying to learn some information about campsites regarding; prices, permits.

        While hiking on the JMT are all the campsites basically first-come-first-serve?

        Yes. You can't reserve backcountry campsites along the JMT.  Just show up. At the popular stops you will usually see a number of campsites. The very best might go early, but the lower-choice ones aren't bad.  Also, no need to camp in previously-used campsites.  It's OK ot use a virgin campsite if you chose it in accordance with the rules (distance from the trail, from awater, etc.) Yosemite and SEKI have slightly different rules, so you might visit both websites and look them up

        Do any of the campsites require a payment?

        No, other than a small payment ($5?) if you want to camp in the thru-hiker area of Tuolumne Meadows.

        And while hiking around Yosemite what is deal with campsites?

        Need reservations in the frontcountry, but not in the backcountry..
      • robert shattuck
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 22, 2013
          "Do any of the campsites require a payment?"

          Carey,

          If you're going to do the JMT, expect to pay only while in Yosemite* and then again, at Red's Meadow.

          In Yosemite you have to pay $5.00 to stay in the backpackers camps in both the valley and Tuolomne Meadows––but you don't pay at Little Yosemite Valley or anywhere else that you might choose to  stay along the way.

          Once you get out of Yosemite, the next place you have to pay a fee is if you stay in Reds Meadows––where they charge not an individual fee, but like a group rate for X amount of space, so someone might pay $20 for the night and if there are only two of you, you end up paying the exorbitant amount of $10 bucks or whatever . . . you might be the only one staying there and the guy will want the full amount from you . . . at least that's been my experience . . . and I do not recommend Red's as a quiet place to spend the night.

          get there. eat, shower, resupply, get out . . . they do have a pretty good "all you can eat" barbecue on saturday nights and if you want to spend the money, stay in one of the little cabins, but the backpackers camp is a small, loud, place, in my opinion.

          Otherwise and thereafter, wherever you stay, it's all free and you only pay in the sweat and grime it took you to get there.

          *if what you mean by "And while hiking around Yosemite what is deal with campsites?" is that you are interested in campsites other than the backpackers camps, in the valley and elsewhere in yosemite––yep, you have to pay and most likely reserve those.

          Bob

          .