New plans- JMT from Yosemite Aug 10

  • Jim W
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2008
      Hi all. My countdown clock seems to be speeding up. I need to send the
      food bucket to MTR next week.

      I had posted before about my Flip/Flop itenerary. My plan (and permits) was
      to start NOBO from Reds Meadow; hike to Yosemite; take the YARTS bus back to
      Mammoth; hike SOBO from Reds Meadow to Whitney. It seemed a reasonable
      approach with a fairly gently start (vs climbing out of Yosemite) and I was
      able to secure the permits after all the others were gone.

      The whole idea of breaking continuity with a bus ride and town stop was
      weighing on me. As a solo hiker the logistics of getting my car from
      Mammoth to Whitney Portal seemed a bit daunting. Mainly though my whole
      idea here was to hike the whole JMT and it seems more pure to do it all in
      one direction without interruption.

      So today I booked an Amtrak ticket from LA to arrive in Yosemite Valley at
      8:00 PM on August 9. I'll spend the night hiding from the rangers in the
      Backpackers campground then get in line at the wilderness permit office at
      0:dark:30 to get a first-come permit. Worst case is I get arrested for
      camping without a backpack permit and spend the night in the Yosemite
      holding cell. The fine would be less than a night in the Ahwahnee and make
      a far better story. From what I've read though I won't have trouble either
      with the rangers or getting a one-person permit.

      I'll mail 5 days food to the Tuolumne post office so I only need to carry 3
      days worth up the hill from Yosemite Valley. I may drop into the Red's
      Meadow store and buy a few items and/or have a meal. My main resupply will
      be at Muir Trail Ranch.

      I plan to finish in 15 days. That's a self-imposed deadline partly tied to
      the fact that 7 days from MTR to Whitney seems a reasonable fit of food into
      the bear can and 1 main pass per day. I will send a bit of extra food to
      MTR and could always pick up extra at Reds in case I need a rest day or two.

      Arrival at Whitney Portal is planned for midafternoon on Sunday August 24.
      I've never hitch hiked farther than trailhead to town, but hopefully I'll be
      able to beg a ride back home to LA from another JMT or Mt. Whitney
      hiker. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems catching a ride from the Portal to LA
      would be easier than Portal to Mammoth.

      See you on the trail!

      Jim