Re: [John Muir Trail] Latest time to do the JMT

  • charliepolecat
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
      It sounds as if the fifth to the eighth from HI would work for me too. Maybe easier to get a permit for then as well.

      So, what special treats are you bringing that you can share? ;-)

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Ladd wrote:

      > On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM, charliepolecat
      > wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > I had planned to do the JMT in August this year, but I now need to
      > calculate the latest time in September one can hike the trail and avoid
      > snow. I recognize each year is different, but what are the averages from
      > personal experiences?
      >
      > Your constraint may be finding resupply locations still open.
      >
      > Muir Trail Ranch usually closes down about Sept 15, so you might want to
      > plan your trip so you get a resupply there on the 15th. If so, I may meet
      > you there. I'm going NB and starting over Cottonwood or New Army Pass
      > about the 5th and planning to end in the Valley about the 25th. I suspect
      > I may see some snow, but I'm hoping it won't be anything particularly deep
      > or treacherous.
      >
      > I did a Rae Lakes loop with a side trip to Whitney and back in
      > mid-September in 2008 and loved the weather. Some cold nights but
      > beautiful days and moderate numbers of other folks on the trail.
      >
      > John Curran Ladd
      > 1616 Castro Street
      > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
      > 415-648-9279

    • rnagarajan
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
        I'm glad to see that others plan to do the hike in September. I'm currently planning to apply for a permit starting on August 27 or 28 from HI. If I don't get either of those dates, then I'll apply for September 3 or 4. My guess is that an August 27/28 entry will be competing with people doing shorter trips over the Labor Day weekend and that a September 3/4 entry will be much easier to get... The advantage of a post-Labor day start may also be much less crowded trails in general and a less crowded Yosemite Valley prior to the hike ...

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "charliepolecat" wrote:

        > It sounds as if the fifth to the eighth from HI would work for me too. Maybe easier to get a permit for then as well.
        >
        > So, what special treats are you bringing that you can share? ;-)
        >

        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Ladd wrote:
        > >
        > > On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM, charliepolecat
        > > wrote:
        > >
        > > > **
        > > >

        > > I had planned to do the JMT in August this year, but I now need to
        > > calculate the latest time in September one can hike the trail and avoid
        > > snow. I recognize each year is different, but what are the averages from
        > > personal experiences?
        > >
        > > Your constraint may be finding resupply locations still open.
        > >
        > > Muir Trail Ranch usually closes down about Sept 15, so you might want to
        > > plan your trip so you get a resupply there on the 15th. If so, I may meet
        > > you there. I'm going NB and starting over Cottonwood or New Army Pass
        > > about the 5th and planning to end in the Valley about the 25th. I suspect
        > > I may see some snow, but I'm hoping it won't be anything particularly deep
        > > or treacherous.
        > >
        > > I did a Rae Lakes loop with a side trip to Whitney and back in
        > > mid-September in 2008 and loved the weather. Some cold nights but
        > > beautiful days and moderate numbers of other folks on the trail.
        > >
        > > John Curran Ladd
        > > 1616 Castro Street
        > > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
        > > 415-648-9279

      • charliepolecat
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
          Wow! we could have a gang of us on the trail.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "rnagarajan" wrote:

          > I'm glad to see that others plan to do the hike in September. I'm currently planning to apply for a permit starting on August 27 or 28 from HI. If I don't get either of those dates, then I'll apply for September 3 or 4. My guess is that an August 27/28 entry will be competing with people doing shorter trips over the Labor Day weekend and that a September 3/4 entry will be much easier to get... The advantage of a post-Labor day start may also be much less crowded trails in general and a less crowded Yosemite Valley prior to the hike ...
          >

          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "charliepolecat" wrote:
          > >
          > > It sounds as if the fifth to the eighth from HI would work for me too. Maybe easier to get a permit for then as well.
          > >
          > > So, what special treats are you bringing that you can share? ;-)
          > >

          > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Ladd wrote:

          > > > I had planned to do the JMT in August this year, but I now need to
          > > > calculate the latest time in September one can hike the trail and avoid
          > > > snow. I recognize each year is different, but what are the averages from
          > > > personal experiences?
          > > >
          > > > Your constraint may be finding resupply locations still open.
          > > >
          > > > Muir Trail Ranch usually closes down about Sept 15, so you might want to
          > > > plan your trip so you get a resupply there on the 15th. If so, I may meet
          > > > you there. I'm going NB and starting over Cottonwood or New Army Pass
          > > > about the 5th and planning to end in the Valley about the 25th. I suspect
          > > > I may see some snow, but I'm hoping it won't be anything particularly deep
          > > > or treacherous.
          > > >
          > > > I did a Rae Lakes loop with a side trip to Whitney and back in
          > > > mid-September in 2008 and loved the weather. Some cold nights but
          > > > beautiful days and moderate numbers of other folks on the trail.
          > > >
          > > > John Curran Ladd
          > > > 1616 Castro Street
          > > > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
          > > > 415-648-9279

        • Terry
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
            I'm planning on joining the party as well sometime after Labor day. I'll be heading NB from Kearsarge to Reds so the Muir Trail Ranch resupply will pretty much dictate my start time. Does anyone know when the Devils Postpile shuttle stops running?

            Anyway September is a great time to be on the trail. Worst case is you could get a storm and have to hunker down somewhere for a day or two but unlikely. Need at least a 15 degree bag and a few warmer technical clothes. Whitney will be cold most likely in September and that's usually the only time on the whole trip that I'll hike in long Johns and gloves. It could also be warm and really nice the whole trip. Trails are all clear, stream crossings are a breeze and there are far fewer people.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "charliepolecat" wrote:

            > Wow! we could have a gang of us on the trail.
            >
            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "rnagarajan" wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm glad to see that others plan to do the hike in September. I'm currently planning to apply for a permit starting on August 27 or 28 from HI. If I don't get either of those dates, then I'll apply for September 3 or 4. My guess is that an August 27/28 entry will be competing with people doing shorter trips over the Labor Day weekend and that a September 3/4 entry will be much easier to get... The advantage of a post-Labor day start may also be much less crowded trails in general and a less crowded Yosemite Valley prior to the hike ...
            > >

            > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "charliepolecat" wrote:
            > > >
            > > > It sounds as if the fifth to the eighth from HI would work for me too. Maybe easier to get a permit for then as well.
            > > >
            > > > So, what special treats are you bringing that you can share? ;-)

          • Terry
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
              I'm planning on joining the party as well sometime after Labor day. I'll be heading NB from Kearsarge to Reds so the Muir Trail Ranch resupply will pretty much dictate my start time. Does anyone know when the Devils Postpile shuttle stops running?

              Anyway September is a great time to be on the trail. Worst case is you could get a storm and have to hunker down somewhere for a day or two but unlikely. Need at least a 15 degree bag and a few warmer technical clothes. Whitney will be cold most likely in September and that's usually the only time on the whole trip that I'll hike in long Johns and gloves. It could also be warm and really nice the whole trip. Trails are all clear, stream crossings are a breeze and there are far fewer people.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "charliepolecat" wrote:

              > Wow! we could have a gang of us on the trail.
              >
              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "rnagarajan" wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm glad to see that others plan to do the hike in September. I'm currently planning to apply for a permit starting on August 27 or 28 from HI. If I don't get either of those dates, then I'll apply for September 3 or 4. My guess is that an August 27/28 entry will be competing with people doing shorter trips over the Labor Day weekend and that a September 3/4 entry will be much easier to get... The advantage of a post-Labor day start may also be much less crowded trails in general and a less crowded Yosemite Valley prior to the hike ...
              > >

              > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "charliepolecat" wrote:
              > > >
              > > > It sounds as if the fifth to the eighth from HI would work for me too. Maybe easier to get a permit for then as well.
              > > >
              > > > So, what special treats are you bringing that you can share? ;-)

            • Darryl
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
                I plan on leaving HI mid to late August (if a can get a permit for that time) and expect to be on the trail for about a month. I look forward to meeting NOBOers.

                Darryl