Mountain Education's Snow Safety Courses 2013

  • Ned Tibbits
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2013
      Many of you have expressed a desire to better prepare yourselves for snow-hiking this Spring or on your Thru-hike of either the Pacific Crest, the Continental Divide, or the John Muir Trails. As you may know, we do not require any financial reimbursement (we are progressing toward a Non-Profit Status) for our Courses and only want those who yearn for the high country to be safe and have a lot of fun out there. We have been teaching Mountain Safety, Avalanche Awareness, and Wilderness Medical Preparedness for 31 years!

      There have been so many new changes with the school that we have been late in publishing our List of Courses for 2013, so thanks for you patience!

      We will be running six (6) Basic Snow Courses (BSC) and one (1) Advanced Snow Course this winter. We will update our website to reflect soon. The Course Descriptions and how you Apply for a Course can be found at our school’s website (www.mountaineducation.org). If you have any questions at all, please email the school, info@... or our Director, Ned Tibbits, directly at ned@....

      Basic Snow Courses for 2013:

      Feb. 1-3 (Friday thru mid-day Sunday into Desolation Wilderness off Hwy. 50, South Lake Tahoe, CA)
      Feb. 8-10
      March 15-17
      March 22-24
      April 5-7
      April 12-14

      April 26-28:  We will be teaching our annual Mountain Safety Overview for Pacific Crest Trail Thru-Hikers at the PCT-Kickoff (ADZPCTKO)

      Advanced Snow Course for 2013:

      May 6-19 (This is our annual, first-into-and-over-Forrester-Pass training trip most practical for future PCT thru hikers)

      Other exciting news:

      We expect to be video-teaching along the PCT wherever there is a snow concern again this year, namely Desert Divide and San Jacinto in SoCal, the Idyllwild and Mt. Baldy area north of L.A., and a SoBo three-week filming trip from Manning to Snoqualmie in June. Two years ago, we video-taught along the PCT/JMT north of Forester to the Muir Trail Ranch for all of you who are concerned about all the high passes and nasty creek crossings in the high sierra. These video segments will be available to our students in the future in order to better prepare them for the Realities of the Trail, what "works" and what doesn't and why.

      Consult your calendars to see if any of our BSC dates will fit into your preparation schedules, fill out our Application Form, and send it in with any questions still remaining!

      Ned Tibbits, Director
      Mountain Education
      www.mountaineducation.org
    • charliepolecat
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2013
        Ned, thanks for all you do on these courses, I just wish I lived closer so I could take advantage of them.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Ned Tibbits" <ned@...> wrote:

        > Many of you have expressed a desire to better prepare yourselves for snow-hiking this Spring or on your Thru-hike of either the Pacific Crest, the Continental Divide, or the John Muir Trails. As you may know, we do not require any financial reimbursement (we are progressing toward a Non-Profit Status) for our Courses and only want those who yearn for the high country to be safe and have a lot of fun out there. We have been teaching Mountain Safety, Avalanche Awareness, and Wilderness Medical Preparedness for 31 years!
        >

        > There have been so many new changes with the school that we have been late in publishing our List of Courses for 2013, so thanks for you patience!
        >
        > We will be running six (6) Basic Snow Courses (BSC) and one (1) Advanced Snow Course this winter. We will update our website to reflect soon. The Course Descriptions and how you Apply for a Course can be found at our school’s website (www.mountaineducation.org). If you have any questions at all, please email the school, info@... or our Director, Ned Tibbits, directly at ned@...
        >
        > Basic Snow Courses for 2013:
        >
        > Feb. 1-3 (Friday thru mid-day Sunday into Desolation Wilderness off Hwy. 50, South Lake Tahoe, CA)
        > Feb. 8-10
        > March 15-17
        > March 22-24
        > April 5-7
        > April 12-14
        >
        > April 26-28: We will be teaching our annual Mountain Safety Overview for Pacific Crest Trail Thru-Hikers at the PCT-Kickoff (ADZPCTKO)
        >
        > Advanced Snow Course for 2013:
        >
        > May 6-19 (This is our annual, first-into-and-over-Forrester-Pass training trip most practical for future PCT thru hikers)
        >
        > Other exciting news:
        >
        > We expect to be video-teaching along the PCT wherever there is a snow concern again this year, namely Desert Divide and San Jacinto in SoCal, the Idyllwild and Mt. Baldy area north of L.A., and a SoBo three-week filming trip from Manning to Snoqualmie in June. Two years ago, we video-taught along the PCT/JMT north of Forester to the Muir Trail Ranch for all of you who are concerned about all the high passes and nasty creek crossings in the high sierra. These video segments will be available to our students in the future in order to better prepare them for the Realities of the Trail, what "works" and what doesn't and why.
        >
        > Consult your calendars to see if any of our BSC dates will fit into your preparation schedules, fill out our Application Form, and send it in with any questions still remaining!
        >

        > Ned Tibbits, Director
        > Mountain Education
        > www.mountaineducation.org

      • Ned Tibbits
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2013
          Thanks, Charlie!

          We just wish, no matter how or where people get trained, that they would at least consider it. So many leave for the hills thinking they know what its like up there, only to find they didn’t prepare for what they found and got in trouble. We see it all the time as a Search and Rescue Member and even on our Courses (other people we help while we’re teaching out there).

          Keep encouraging hikers to investigate and research, test for themselves in the worst of conditions, and gain a little mountain wisdom in so doing before going out deep or for a long time!

          Thanks for your support! There are a few trolls who like to blast us from time to time...

          Ned Tibbits, Director
          Mountain Education
          www.mountaineducation.org

          Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 9:53 AM
          Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Mountain Education's Snow Safety Courses 2013

          --- In mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com, "Ned Tibbits" <ned@...> wrote:

          > Many of you have expressed
          a desire to better prepare yourselves for snow-hiking this Spring or on your Thru-hike of either the Pacific Crest, the Continental Divide, or the John Muir Trails. As you may know, we do not require any financial reimbursement (we are progressing toward a Non-Profit Status) for our Courses and only want those who yearn for the high country to be safe and have a lot of fun out there. We have been teaching Mountain Safety, Avalanche Awareness, and Wilderness Medical Preparedness for 31 years!

          > There have been so many new
          changes with the school that we have been late in publishing our List of Courses for 2013, so thanks for you patience!

          > We will be running six
          (6) Basic Snow Courses (BSC) and one (1) Advanced Snow Course this winter. We will update our website to reflect soon. The Course Descriptions and how you Apply for a Course can be found at our school’s website (www.mountaineducation.org). If you have any questions at all, please email the school, info@... or our Director, Ned Tibbits, directly at ned@...

          > Basic Snow Courses for 2013:
          >
          > Feb. 1-3 (Friday thru
          mid-day Sunday into Desolation Wilderness off Hwy. 50, South Lake Tahoe, CA)
          > Feb. 8-10
          > March 15-17
          > March 22-24
          > April
          5-7
          > April 12-14
          >
          > April 26-28: We will be teaching our
          annual Mountain Safety Overview for Pacific Crest Trail Thru-Hikers at the PCT-Kickoff (ADZPCTKO)

          > Advanced Snow Course for 2013:
          >
          > May 6-19 (This is our annual, first-into-and-over-Forrester-Pass
          training trip most practical for future PCT thru hikers)

          > Other
          exciting news:

          > We expect to be video-teaching along the PCT
          wherever there is a snow concern again this year, namely Desert Divide and San Jacinto in SoCal, the Idyllwild and Mt. Baldy area north of L.A., and a SoBo three-week filming trip from Manning to Snoqualmie in June. Two years ago, we video-taught along the PCT/JMT north of Forester to the Muir Trail Ranch for all of you who are concerned about all the high passes and nasty creek crossings in the high sierra. These video segments will be available to our students in the future in order to better prepare them for the Realities of the Trail, what "works" and what doesn't and why.

          > Consult your calendars to see
          if any of our BSC dates will fit into your preparation schedules, fill out our Application Form, and send it in with any questions still remaining!

          > Ned Tibbits, Director
          > Mountain
          Education
          > www.mountaineducation.org

        • JohnCurranLadd
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2013
            I've taken Ned's Basic Course twice and found both of them extremely helpful and not only for winter hiking. (I also attended part of a third one for more self-arrest practice with an ice ax.) You'll feel much more confident wherever you encounter snow if you take one of his courses. Feel free to contact me by e-mail off-board or by phone if you want more detail about my impressions.

            John Ladd
            415-648-9279