[John Muir Trail] Re: Saving Weight on Hydration

  • alanjrich007
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 31, 2012
      I've been happy with the Potable Aqua PA Plus tablets.  The iodine tablet can be a little slow to dissolve in cold water; I fill my bottle then pop a tablet in, then after 5 minutes or so when it's dissolved I shake the bottle to mix it.  In 30 minutes your water is purified.

      The PA Plus version has a second tablet you can add after this 30 minutes to neutralize the iodine - it dissolves quickly, removes any iodine taste and leaves the water clear.

      It's a pretty simple and trouble-free system...

      Alan

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Ladd wrote:

      > On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Gail forgetwho@... wrote:
      >
      > > Is there an advantage to using the drops over the tablets?
      >

      > I tended to worry that the tablets might not dissolve quickly. Others who
      > have used them might comment.

    • charliepolecat
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 1, 2013
        I use the tablets. I break them in half because they are for twice the quantity of my individual water bottles. No problem with dissolving.

        > On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Gail <forgetwho@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Is there an advantage to using the drops over the tablets?
        >

        > I tended to worry that the tablets might not dissolve quickly. Others who
        > have used them might comment.

      • Don
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 1, 2013
          The drops are quicker than the tablets. See the manufacturers' specs for the details. You might want to do a little research to determine if water treatment is necessary. It's a shame to alter the taste of the alpine water.

          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 1, 2013
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Gail" <forgetwho@...> wrote:

            > Is there an advantage to using the drops over the tablets?

            There's a pretty considerable price difference

            A 24-tablet package of the tablets treats 24 qts and costs $14.95 list or $0.63 per qt

            The 1-ounce bottles of drops that are usually used in the field treat 120 qts and cost $14.95 or $0.12 per quart

            A pair of the 2-oz bottles of drops (good for refilling the 1-ounce bottles) treats 240 qts and costs 16.95 list  or $0.07 per qt

            Say you want to treat a gallon a day for 22 days, the tablets will cost $55 and the drops $6 to $9, depending on whether you buy them in the larger or smaller size bottles.  (The larger size does require re-packaging into the smaller bottles you carry. The one-ounce bottles can be refilled)

          • Robert
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 1, 2013
              A big +1 to what John says here on AM drops. I switched last summer, and won't go back to a filter in the Sierras. I used a small black dropper bottle with enough premixed drops to treat all of my water for the day. You need to do a little experimenting to match drop volume compared to the AM bottles. As long as the bottle with the premix solution does not allow light in, the premix mixture will stay good for a day or more.

              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 1, 2013
                On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Robert <rnperky@...> wrote:

                ... I used a small black dropper bottle with enough premixed drops to treat all of my water for the day. You need to do a little experimenting to match drop volume compared to the AM bottles. As long as the bottle with the premix solution does not allow light in, the premix mixture will stay good for a day or more.

                If you don't have a black bottle, wrap a regular dropper bottle with some duct tape to keep the light out. If you leave a small gap in the tape you can see how much liquid remains in the premix bottle
              • Gail
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 1, 2013
                  Thanks to all of you who have commented on this. You've convinced me to carry the drops - and also to leave my Steripen at home.

                  > On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Robert <rnperky@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > ... I used a small black dropper bottle with enough premixed drops to
                  > > treat all of my water for the day. You need to do a little experimenting to
                  > > match drop volume compared to the AM bottles. As long as the bottle with
                  > > the premix solution does not allow light in, the premix mixture will stay
                  > > good for a day or more.
                  > >
                  > > If you don't have a black bottle, wrap a regular dropper bottle with some
                  > duct tape to keep the light out. If you leave a small gap in the tape you
                  > can see how much liquid remains in the premix bottle

                • Herb
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 2, 2013
                    On the issue of chemical treatment, we have used Micropur tabs for their convenience and the fact they do not seem to impact taste. They are, however, somewhat more expensive. I have not had any problem with them dissolving properly.

                    Note that technically aqua mira does not address giardia after just 15 minutes, and in fact, does not claim it is effective as to giardia at all. To make that assertion requires calling for exposure of 4 hours. Micropur wants to market that it is effective against giardia, hence its labeling says you must wait 4 hours. AM wants to tout the water is ready to drink in 15 minutes, so omits the giardia claim.

                    Both of the above chemical treatments do essentially the same thing in about the same amount of time. In most instances 15 minutes will kill all of the nasties. But there are variables that impact how long the process takes, such as temperature, presence of organic matter, ph levels, and water turbidity. If you are truly concerned over giardia in particular and want to be absolutely certain, you should allow for a four hour wait time whether using AM or Micropur.

                    If weight and giardia effectiveness are the only issues, consider an inline Sawyer filter that attaches to your camelbac in place of the bite value. They are about 4 ounces and, obviously, require no wait time at all.

                    Having said all that, in the Sierra we almost always drink out of the natural water sources. The only exceptions are areas in which there is heavy stock or human activity, and there we use chemical treatment. We rarely wait the 4 hours, but try to give the chemicals as much quality time with the water as we can before drinking.

                    Finally, I use a camelbac but started carrying it in a side pocket rather than inside the pack. Although I still cannot see it with the pack on, I can reach around and feel how much water I have left. In addition, water can be added without opening the pack. Personally, I drink more when I have a water tube in easy reach so it is important for me to make the system work. If we are desert hiking and sticker bushes are a concern, I put my tveck drop cloth around the camelbac. This not only protects from punctures but helps insulate as well.

                    Herb