Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Need some hiking boot advice...

  • Spencer Goodwine
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 26, 2012
      Thru-hiked the JMT last fall with Innov8 trail runners and a 32lb pack (but measured 37lbs after resupply at MTR) and thought they were great. That pack weight with t-runners wasn't a problem for me and I'm a big guy (6'4" & 210lbs). I had one blister the entire trip and it was because I got my feet wet when fly fishing in Mono Creek - I wore my trail runners in the creek because they dry incredibly, but they were still a smidge wet when starting the hike the next morning. Anyway, I saw a couple people drop out of the hike between Yosemite and VVR with blister problems, all were wearing really nice and expensive hiking boots. And as mentioned above, I would avoid Gore-tex completely (at least for the JMT). The only downfall of trail runners on the JMT that I can see is they do not last long, my Innov8's where starting to come apart on the last days of the hike.

      Spence
      On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 9:32 AM, michaelegrosse <michaelegrosse@...> wrote:

      good luck, remember that pack weight will play a role when using trail runners, it doesn't matter how comfortable they are if you go more than 25 lbs. The whole thing is a system where everything works and performs together...Good luck and enjoy...

      michael