New Meal Technique

  • Byron
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 2012
      I invented a new technique and used it on my JMT through hike a few months ago.

      I brought one of those disposable tupperware-type containers. Namely a 32 oz. round Gladware container with lid. It weighed 1.2 oz. It was quite sturdy. It handled boiling water without any issues.
      For dinner I repackaged the freeze-dried or dehydrated dinners into practically weightless old-fashioned gallon plastic bags - NOT heavy zip-lock bags. To make the dinner, simply remove the twist tie, put the bag into the Gladware container. I.e. the plastic bag acts as a liner inside the Gladware container. Pour in boiling water, cover, wait. Now uncover and eat. When done, remove the bag from the spotless container. Zero cleanup! And the garbage weight and size is as minimal as possible.

      The container takes up zero space in the pack when you cram it full of stuff.
    • eaglepdub
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2013
        Byron... I love it! I hate doing dishes in camp, using soap, carrying a wet towel on my pack afterwords. Thank you so much! It's great information like this that makes this site so useful to all us JMTers!

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Byron" <biz@...> wrote:

        > I invented a new technique and used it on my JMT through hike a few months ago.
        >
        > I brought one of those disposable tupperware-type containers. Namely a 32 oz. round Gladware container with lid. It weighed 1.2 oz. It was quite sturdy. It handled boiling water without any issues.
        > For dinner I repackaged the freeze-dried or dehydrated dinners into practically weightless old-fashioned gallon plastic bags - NOT heavy zip-lock bags. To make the dinner, simply remove the twist tie, put the bag into the Gladware container. I.e. the plastic bag acts as a liner inside the Gladware container. Pour in boiling water, cover, wait. Now uncover and eat. When done, remove the bag from the spotless container. Zero cleanup! And the garbage weight and size is as minimal as possible.
        >
        > The container takes up zero space in the pack when you cram it full of stuff.

      • charliepolecat
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2013
          What is really needed is some way to clean up the cooking container - whatever method is used - before packing it away. One way is to add water and a drop of liquid soap (I use Wilderness Wash) shake it up and rinse out. I think it is easier to do that with an alternative bag to the actual container that Mountain House comes in, which is made of a stiffer material. The other thing to be careful about is to cook food that does not leave much of a residue. The MH lasagna, for example, is definitely a mess to clean up.
        • Bronco
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2013
            That's a commendable system you've devised, Byron. Trash accumulation irks me, though. I label and write cooking instructions (for the more complicated fares) on paper lunch-bags and re-bag nearly all my food in the lunch bags. Brown paper bags are made from natural wood pulp with no dyes or harmful chemicals. I did a test at home. I burned the bag in my cook pot and measured the total ashes: less than 1/8 teaspoon. It takes about 400 bags to produce one cup of ashes. Hardly an environmental impact. It's much less than ONE misplaced/lost/wind-blown plastic zip-lock. And if one cannot manage to burn a paper bag in a cook pot without starting a forest fire, perhaps backpacking is a poor recreational choice...or switch to cold meals.