RE: [John Muir Trail] Bear Canisters

  • Jim Ringland
    Message 1 of 127 , Dec 3, 2012

      And let me just testify that there was least one bear active in the lower Palisade Creek valley (north of the Golden Staircase) last September.  It didn't bother me but I got a report from another hiker.  -- Jim Ringland

      Message 127 of 127 , Jan 21

      Vidette Meadow

      Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

      From:"robert shattuck bobolonius@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
      Date:Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 10:03 PM

      " .... including a prolonged attempt in Vidette Meadow"

      It really doesn't matter if you put your canister ten or a hundred feet away, you're going to have bears in Vidette meadow---that's the problem---on that instance.

      ...,..otherwise, yeah, I always leave it within sight as well as flashlight range.

      Bob Shattuck

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jan 21, 2015, at 7:32 PM, "rnperky@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I'm in the same train of thought as Joe on bear can placement. I leave mine in direct line-of-sight and 20-30 feet away from me. I've actually had more events of bear curiosity and attempts to get at it when I've had it further away, including a prolonged attempt at it in Viddette Meadows:) !