[John Muir Trail] Re: Experience with Neo Air Mattresses

  • Gail
    Message 1 of 61 , Dec 2, 2012
      It was rear-facing, and she also has an Osprey pack. I don't remember any more about how she lashed it. It was a very brushy section (in the Red Buttes Wilderness, not in the Sierras), and I'm sure she wasn't thinking about the hazard that posed. It sounds like you are very careful and that you won't have a problem.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John <jmaddog1082@...> wrote:

      > I'm curious as to where on the pack she lashed her pad to? On top, side, or rear-facing? I choose the traditional, rear-facing points featured on my Osprey pack.
      >
      > Yes Gail, I'm always careful with my gear. In addition to attaching my Exped (or Prolite for that matter) with my Osprey's compression straps, I use the the extra cord of the pad's stuff sack affixed to the pack as a redundant "leash" just in case it slips out of the compression straps. Storage space inside my 50L pack is at a premium, so I buy some extra volume by lashing it outside.
      >
      > I'm always mindful about where and how I "park" my removed pack and how I trek through the occasional overly vegetated zones.
      >
      > I guess if I was trekking through cacti fields of the SW or similar environments, I might use a hollowed out 24oz soda can(s) (virtually weightless) as a protective shroud/sleeve for any compact pad.
      >
      > Happy trails,
      > John
      >
      > On Dec 2, 2012, at 11:03 AM, "Gail" <forgetwho@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I'd be careful about carrying it outside your pack! I went on a short trip with a friend who carried her Exped Synmat 7 on the outside of her pack. It lost all its air the first night, and when we examined it we found 4 pinhole tears in the carrying case that had probably occurred when we went through a brushy section. It was beyond repair, and we had to return a night early.
      > >
      > > I have an Exped Synmat 7 too and like it, but I'd never carry it outside my pack.
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John <jmaddog1082@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I've used a Prolite extensively, but I've now had a few nights on my newer Exped Synmat 7 and really like it. I now consider my Exped my primary, 3-season pad and I don't use any type of Exped inflating apparatus . I believe it's only about 4 ounces heavier than a Neo and still very compact. In fact on my 2012 JMT trip, I lost count of how many hikers asked, "What's that little yellow thing strapped to the back of your pack?"
      > > >
      > > > John

    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 61 of 61 , Dec 2, 2012
        Get the women's Prolite, it's warmer than the men's.

        Barbara

        I spent some time at REI today and looked at the pads. Prolite may be the one for me. The material reminds me of my old thermarest which was heavy but seemed indestructible. Even if Prolite develops an unfixable leak it seems like there would still be some insulation. And the regular size is only 16 ounces. I think I can get by without the long version. But I'm sure Neoair or Synmat is more comfortable.