Re: JMT Permit Request Procedures

  • jmt_2013
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
      As a JMT newbie, I would also appreciate clarification on the application procedure. I understand that each application should include different TH options on the same date. What is acceptable regarding submitting additional applications for consecutive dates? For example, one application on Sept 1, one on Sept 2, one on Sept 3 etc.If that is permitted, at what intervals should the applications be spaced?
      Thanks,
      Darryl

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
        On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 10:20 AM, jmt_2013 <dabrahms@...> wrote:
        What is acceptable regarding submitting additional applications for consecutive dates? For example, one application on Sept 1, one on Sept 2, one on Sept 3 etc.If that is permitted, at what intervals should the applications be spaced?

        Yes - fax one each night - for Sept 1, you'd fax on the night of  March 16 (after 5 pm Pacific Time) to arrive by Mar 17 morning. For Sept 2, you'd fax on next night (if your Sept 1 permit was not granted). Etc
      • Gail
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
          So do you find out right away, then, if your permit has been granted?

          > On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 10:20 AM, jmt_2013 <dabrahms@...> wrote:
          >
          > > What is acceptable regarding submitting additional applications for
          > > consecutive dates? For example, one application on Sept 1, one on Sept 2,
          > > one on Sept 3 etc.If that is permitted, at what intervals should the
          > > applications be spaced?
          >

          > Yes - fax one each night - for Sept 1, you'd fax on the night of March 16
          > (after 5 pm Pacific Time) to arrive by Mar 17 morning. For Sept 2, you'd
          > fax on next night (if your Sept 1 permit was not granted). Etc

        • Ron Cordell
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
            You find out mid-day by email if you got your permit. So if you send the fax, say, Tuesday evening after 5pm as John mentions, you would get a response by mid-day the following day (Pacific time) about the result. If you didn't get a permit, this gives you time to submit again that evening for the next day.

            This past year it took me several tries to get a permit, but when I finally got my permit it was via the Happy Isles TH, so don't be discouraged if it takes a few tries.

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
              Okay, thanks. (I don't know what I would do without this site :-).

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
                Hey, I went through it all last year. Doing the permit process was confusing to me and I just needed to work through it to understand it. I think my first few rejections were because I didn't understand the trail head options very well, nor what was feasible as the first night's destination. A lot of unknowns, but we do the best that we can :)

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
                  Okay, one more question, then :-). About the first night's destination - I'm confused about that too. Which of the options require you to camp where (or to go past what point) the first night?

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
                    I'm not familiar with all options/combinations as my only experience is with this year's (August) hike. For that hike I asked for Happy Isles with first night destination Sunrise. What I got was Happy Isles with first night destination beyond Little Yosemite Valley (LYV). I was planning to do Half Dome on the first day, so I didn't know how this would work out, even though I requested it. It turns out that it was more than OK (for me) - I had plenty of time to get beyond LYV to where I was allowed to camp the first night, and actually ended up camping just shy of Sunrise summit as well as summiting Half Dome.

                    My other choices were essentially guesses because I really wanted to find a way to do Half Dome. However, I studied the maps and evaluated the distances and elevation changes to get an idea of what was in store for each combo. From what I could gather, anything beyond LYV is a plus as far as getting the permit and, according to many, as far as the experience (a lot of people don't seem to care for camping there).

                    Others on this list have way more experience with the various combinations and can provide more insight. For me it was just gauging the distance and how I would feel that first day. In the end, once I got there, it was all good. Finding a spot to camp the first night wasn't an issue.

                    -ronc

                  • Gail
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 2, 2012
                      Thanks, that helps.