Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Experience with Neo Air Mattresses

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 61 , Dec 1, 2012
      I've used a Prolite (women's because they have a higher R value :-) ) and it's been fine. I've tried the Neoair, the Xlite and the Exped Syn 7, and always go back to the Prolite, for each of use and comfort.

      On Dec 1, 2012, at 8:42 AM, "rnagarajan" <ravi@...> wrote:

      I've been looking at pads over the past few weeks and am leery of the Neoair since it seems so fragile. I went with an Exped Downmat UL7 which is 10 ounces heavier than the Neoair but I'm willing to carry more weight in exchange for better sleep. It seems quite sturdy, has good reviews, and since I only want to buy one mat it could double as a fall/winter mat this year. It is a very comfortable mat but it seems to soften (not totally deflate) overnight even in constant temperature environment (my bedroom). My assumption is the deflation would be greater in the field as ambient temperatures drop overnight. Adding air in the middle of the night is just fine in my bedroom but next to impossible in my Copper Spur UL1 given the way the schnozzle pump bag must be situated at the front of the pad with a bit of clearance in order to work the pump. I think that I would have to get the pad out of the tent to add air (you can't directly blow into the pad due to moisture issues with the down). So I'm going to return this one but I'm not sure what to replace it with. I may try my luck with one of the newer closed cell foam to see if I can sleep reasonably well with it ... if so I could save some money and stress over risk of deflation as well as some ounces...

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Kundell <sk@...> wrote:

      > I assume this is not from the temperature. I have to give an extra puff
      > or two once after my Neoair has cooled at night, but then it seems to
      > stay where it should. It is more comfortable, but more prone to failure
      > than a foam pad. I had an early one in 2009 when I did the JMT, and it
      > developed a 1 1/2" unrepairable seam failure. Slept on ground for a few
      > days and survived, but not comfortably. I still prefer it.

    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 61 of 61 , Dec 2, 2012
        Get the women's Prolite, it's warmer than the men's.

        Barbara

        On Dec 2, 2012, at 7:39 PM, "rnagarajan" <ravi@...> wrote:

        I spent some time at REI today and looked at the pads. Prolite may be the one for me. The material reminds me of my old thermarest which was heavy but seemed indestructible. Even if Prolite develops an unfixable leak it seems like there would still be some insulation. And the regular size is only 16 ounces. I think I can get by without the long version. But I'm sure Neoair or Synmat is more comfortable.