Re: Lost Coast in December?

  • sturgisvanhalen
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2012
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "T" <tvanr13@...> wrote:

      > Hey I know this isn't about the JMT but has any of you ever been on the Lost Coast in December? I've got a couple weeks and if the weather doesn't look too bad I might try to do it, or maybe part of it. thanks, Tim

      Tim...

      I live along the Lost Coast and December is hit or miss. It would be really hard to plan, you will need to be flexible. If the weather is good (ie. not raining) it can be unbelievably beautiful. But, even after 40 years here, I couldn't tell you what you can expect until a few days before your trip.
    • scriv.ener
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
        Tim ~

        I live a few hours south of Garberville/Shelter Cove, and I must agree with Sturgis that the December weather on the northern California coast can be horrible or incredibly beautiful.

        When you say "Lost Coast," there are really two sections of the trail, Shelter Cove south and Shelter Cove north. The southern section (down to Usal) is inland, and thus more sheltered, the northern section (up to Mattole) is on-and-off the beach (thus the warnings about tide cycles) and very exposed. One of the cool things about the northern section is that you can bring your dog, the southern being largely State Park Wilderness.

        You said you had "a couple weeks," so you might consider just driving up and then, if the weather is lousy, riding out any storm at one of the nearby state parks (Humboldt, Richardson Grove, Standish-Hickey). The air is always so sparkling just after a storm! And while you're waiting, consider a short drive north to Clenendon's. Also consider Lorentzen's guidebook, ISBN 0-939431-13-0.

        Because of the nature of the route, a key exchange technique can work well, but try to get into the southbound group, you'll have the prevailing wind at your back! Too, I do not recommend hitchhiking through Honeydew, it is anything but a retirement home for compliant husbands!

        ~Jeffrey