Short video from Evo skate

  • John
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
      Latest insallment from skating the JMT-

      Hope you enjoy it!

      JD
    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
        Amazing!  Is that Tuva music (throat singing)?!

        On Nov 29, 2012, at 7:52 AM, "John" <johndittli@...> wrote:

        Latest insallment from skating the JMT-

        Hope you enjoy it!

        JD

      • vege_matic
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
          Nice! I can't believe how clear the ice is and is still safe for skating.
          -Nancy

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
            I noticed the measurement of 4" and the voice-over stating 6" is the minimum but when I saw the continued skating, I presumed that was over areas with 6" minimum ice, right?

            How many spots on the ice would you test before skating any distance?  Does it take about an hour of testing before doing the skating.  I'm curious about the real world logistics involved.

            Thanks!
            _

            On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 12:41 PM, vege_matic <eatonn@...> wrote:

            Nice! I can't believe how clear the ice is and is still safe for skating.
            -Nancy

            > Latest insallment from skating the JMT-
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoimVpRHnQA&list=UL
            > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoimVpRHnQA&list=UL>
            > Hope you enjoy it!
            > JDWalk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trailsee book here
            > <http://www.johndittli.com>

          • John
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012

              > I noticed the measurement of 4" and the voice-over stating 6" is the
              > minimum but when I saw the continued skating, I presumed that was over
              > areas with 6" minimum ice, right?
              >
              > How many spots on the ice would you test before skating any distance? Does
              > it take about an hour of testing before doing the skating. I'm curious
              > about the real world logistics involved.
              >
              > Thanks!

              What he actually says is "4 inches, minimum safe thickness for soft white ice". White ice has a lot of air in it, so it's weaker then clear ice. Also if it's warm and soft it's not as strong.  Below I've pasted info I posted on another forum. Most of the information we process is visual- if the lake is smooth then it most likely froze at once and is of a pretty uniform thickness. It's white ice or snow covered ice that gets sketchy as you can't see the inconsistencies as well.

              Usually in real world applications we do a visual, measure once, do an exploratory skate looking for weaknesses, then head out.

              Ice thickness is an important factor and there are many clues that one learns over the years. When I first started skating I wouldn't venture on to anything less than 4-5 inches, thought not recommended, I have now skated on 1.5...

              When we first approach the ice we look for tell tale signs like expansion cracks and bubbles, the give a very accurate indication of thickness. Is the ice a consistant surface across the entire lake, if so, it probably "went off" all at once and will be very consistant in thickness. If there are seams or variable surfaces we look at those too. We measure ice thickness with an ice screw as seen in the video. We do a somewhat careful skate of the lake looking for weaknesses. We carry self rescue equipment and dry cloths on shore (except when skating with full packs).

              Even so, we all have gone in for one reason or another- skating too close to rocks, open water, thin ice near shore, etc. After enough skating it comes with the territory. My biggest fear is dunking $4k in camera equipment!

              JD
            • John
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
                Yes, Mongolian Throat singing!

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
                  Tell us one good story of dunking in.  Thanks!
                  _
                • charliepolecat
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
                    Fabulous! How long did you stay up there? I saw the bags, so just overnight?

                    > Latest insallment from skating the JMT-
                    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoimVpRHnQA&list=UL
                    > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoimVpRHnQA&list=UL>
                    > Hope you enjoy it!
                    > JDWalk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trailsee book here
                    > <http://www.johndittli.com>

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
                      Just one night, at Evolution Lake.

                      John
                    • John
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
                        I've gone in twice, once completely stupid and forgetful; skating onto day old ice near shore that we had previously alerted each other too. I was heading to shore on Rae Lakes and broke through to my waist.

                        The more interesting one was skating into a cave as seen on the attached video. Another not so smart call: caves = earth temp = 55 deg = soft ice. Again, the water was shallow, but I fell and got pretty wet. This was on a huge lake and we had over a mile to skate back- my cloths started freezing up a bit.

                        Other break throughs at speed (not me) have resulted in wet people and bruised shins, legs and or ribs from hitting the far side of the hole. The skaters all self extricated.

                        John
                      • Barbara Karagosian
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012

                          Not too much in the way of swearing either!

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 30, 2012
                            Fabulous! I love these. Thanks for posting.

                            > Latest insallment from skating the JMT-
                            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoimVpRHnQA&list=UL
                            > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoimVpRHnQA&list=UL>
                            > Hope you enjoy it!
                            > JDWalk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trailsee book here
                            > <http://www.johndittli.com>

                          • Joe MacLeish
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 30, 2012

                              Barbara:

                              I noticed that you have image 1 and 2 in your attachments and they are the same “images” I have.  When you figure out how to get rid of them please let me know.  I have done all I know but my emails to this site (only) still have the little color box images.

                              thanks

                              Joe

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 30, 2012
                                Wonderful. Made my afternoon!

                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "brucelem12" <blemons@...> wrote:

                                > Fabulous! I love these. Thanks for posting.
                                >
                                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johndittli@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Latest insallment from skating the JMT-
                                > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoimVpRHnQA&list=UL
                                > > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoimVpRHnQA&list=UL>
                                > > Hope you enjoy it!
                                > > JDWalk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trailsee book here
                                > > <http://www.johndittli.com>

                              • Ian Clipstone
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
                                  Brilliant, loved it!!