Permit reservation dates and researching prior year threads

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2012
      This is probably a good time to remind people about these permit lead times and how to search this group for permitting strategies

      Permits starting in Yosemite can be reserved 168 days in advance. In the height of the season, reservations for the main trailheads will "go" on day one. (Don't despair, though, there are good strategies for scoring walk-in permits if you appreciate spontaneity and have at least a little flexibility.)

      So if you wanted to start on May 15 (aggressively early in most years), you would fax in your permit request tonight, so that the permit office will open it tomorrow morning.

      This chart will tell you the first reservation date for every given planned start date:

      If your hike will start somewhere else than Yosemite, your permit reservation date may be different.  The link  below (last updated 2009) lists the permit reservation lead times for various trailheads. Some entry points allow permit reservations a year in advance, others 6 months in advance. So some of these permits may be available now or soon even for trips starting in June and July

      Note, this page has apparently not been updated recently, so confirm that the lead times listed are still correct.

      You will also find these and other links in our Links folder under "Permits and Ranger Contact information" (available to the public)

      See also our files area, esp. in this folder (members only)

      We will, no doubt, start having many message threads about permitting.  Put things like the following into a Google search box and you will find prior year discussions that may be of interest to you:

      inurl:johnmuirtrail permit fax

      inurl:johnmuirtrail permit fax timing

      inurl:johnmuirtrail permit fax "first choice"

      inurl:johnmuirtrail permit alternate trailhead

      inurl:johnmuirtrail permit "Glacier Point"

      inurl:johnmuirtrail permit Inyo

      inurl:johnmuirtrail permit "Sierra National Forest"

      Most of the "hits" on these searches will be message postings from our group. If you want to limit your searches to just our group, add this to any of the searches above