From Danica Berner - horsepackers resupply

  • Joe MacLeish
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 20, 2012

      Apparently this year (coming up) the packer resupply situation is a little unclear.  For anybody who doesn’t know, Danica is the chiefess of Berner’s Packers (out of Onion Valley, etc).

      Note that Danica suggests “we” input to the Wilderness Stewardship Plan our thoughts on resupply and how it is done.  I also suggested she tune in to this site.

      Danica:
      I have a question.  You have always dropped my resupply at the Charlotte Lake RS without me actually being there to pick it up.  I usually got it the next day.  I know George has moved on to a new RS.  Does this still work this year or does one actually have to meet you now.
      Joe

      Below from Danica

      To be honest, I don't know.  I was told this summer it is Ranger discretion.  This translates to whoever might be at Charlotte this season.  George was at LeConte 2012, so I don't know if he or another Ranger will be at Charlotte.  In 2012, there was a 24 hour turn around, so that the issue of 'cache' would be specific to the definition of a cache is something left for more than 24 hours.

      Can you address this with the public comments with the Wilderness Stewardship plan?

      Also, we are able to communicate through a couple ways to be sure we meet with you timely anyway, as you are along the trail.

      Let me know your thoughts.  I should probably review some of the chats but don't know what site would be good to comment on?  Any suggestions, so that we might be of help to you and perhaps others?

      Good hearing from you, as well.

      Best wishes,

      Danica Berner, SKPT