Re: Early planning stages NoBo in Sept 2013

  • John
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 5, 2012

      -Hey Dave, good to hear your trip went well. Discovery and Junction are pretty good pulls aren't they? Much better skiing, down! Sounds like you had a great trip.

      JD
    • dh5169
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 5, 2012
        John,
        Another option is an early morning flight from SFO to LAS ($120).
        A one-way rental (Avis only) to Ridgecrest ($75 - 4 hours drive)
        The 3:35 pm bus out of Ridgecrest (Inyokern Airport) $18 - the guys at the rental would probably run you out to the airport) to whereever you want to go as far up as Mammoth.
        Doug

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Don Amundson <amrowinc@...> wrote:

        > John I would suggest you look into flying from San Francisco to Mammoth. You'll have to go through LA but the fare may be cheaper than flying from SF to Reno and you'll avoid a 6+ hour bus ride down 395 to Reno and the $53 bus fare (your price for being an old guy). I never have been able to understand why people doing the JMT fly into SFO from other parts of the country when its usually cheaper to fly into LAX on to Mammoth and catching the morning YARTS bus into Yosemite from there. At 7900ft Mammoth is a great town to acclimate in overnight and if you're lucky John you might hook up with someone driving down to the Lone Pine area. If you're not lucky then the Crest bus will get you there.
        >
        > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        > From: johnladd@...
        > Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 18:45:30 -0700
        > Subject: [John Muir Trail] Early planning stages NoBo in Sept 2013

        > I'm at the very early planning stages of a NorthBound JMT starting in early- to mid-September of 2013.
        > I'm planning on flying to Reno and taking the bus to someplace along 395, then hitchhiking to a trailhead (NOT Whitney Portal) preferably a bit Southeast of Whitney. Ending at Happy Isles.
        >

        > I.e, joining the JMT at Crabtree Meadows via something like New Army Pass or Cottonwood Pass and the PCT. I'm trying to see at least some of the area a bit south of Crabtree Meadows and to avoid the steep/crowded trail between Whitney Portal and Trail Crest. I've been to Mt Whitney and don't need to "bag" it this trip
        >

        > I'd love people's thoughts on how to do this with the least hassles in permitting and transportation and/or the most gradual ascent and/or the most awesome scenery.
        > John Curran Ladd
        >

        > 1616 Castro Street
        > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
        > 415-648-9279

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 5, 2012
          I know it's early in the game, but I will be doing the JMT NOBO next summer sometime early to mid-August. If anyone is planning a SOBO JMT trip around the same time, we could arrange a vehicle swap so each of us could have our respective cars at each end. It would take some coordination as to where to meet up, and where to specifically to park at each end, but would be a great solution to figuring out transportation logistics.

          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 5, 2012
            On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 7:31 PM, Robert <rnperky@...> wrote:
            I know it's early in the game, but I will be doing the JMT NOBO next summer sometime early to mid-August. If anyone is planning a SOBO JMT trip around the same time, we could arrange a vehicle swap so each of us could have our respective cars at each end. It would take some coordination as to where to meet up, and where to specifically to park at each end, but would be a great solution to figuring out transportation logistics.

            I've given this kind of idea a lot of thought in the past and think the best way to do it is - as Robert suggests above - but making the arrangements a bit more explicit

            1) NoBo and SoBo hikers meet somewhere in the middle (like Crane Flat or Tuolumne Meadows) and swap cars. Each driver keeps his car keys and gives duplicate keys to the other driver.

            2) NoBo hiker takes the SoBo hiker's car to Whitney Portal or Lone Pine

            3) SoBo hiker takes NoBO hikers to the LT parking lot near Happy Isles.

            4) Each hiker could mail to the other a letter (General Delivery at the exit TH) with details of exactly where the car ended up or just leave a voice mail message for the other with the exact location.

            5) They each have both sets of keys so that if they fail to meet on the hike, they are both OK

            Obviously, both have to start their hikes at about the same time, but they can end at different times.  So one hiker can be on a 12-miles a day pace and the other could be on a 8- or 20-mile pace.  They only need to co-ordinate at the start of the trip, not at the end.

            Seems like this wouldn't be a bad thing for any NoBo hiker to propose on this board, since there will usually be multiple SoBo people with similar starting dates. Robert - hope somebody SoBo in August takes you up on this proposal

            John
          • charliepolecat
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 10, 2012
              John L,

              Why September? Can you give some insights on why you think this is a good month to do the trail?

              Ken
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 10, 2012
                On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 7:05 AM, charliepolecat <kennethjessett@...> wrote:
                John L,

                Why September? Can you give some insights on why you think this is a good month to do the trail?

                Ken

                I like the cooler weather.  Us San Franciscans are heat wimps.

                You can get some fall colors in the Aspens.

                Inline image 1

                Link to picture if you can't see it

                Still enough people to have the occasional good talk, but less feeling of crowds.

                Easy to get over streams to some of the interesting sidetrips (e.g., Warm Lake near MTR)

                But mostly, I'm a heat wimp.

                John

              • charliepolecat
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 10, 2012
                  Not only San Franciscans. I don't know anyone who wouldn't wish for San Francisco weather year round.

                  But you get used to the heat, but that doesn't mean you like it or want it.

                  I'm tossing up with JMT and the Camino for May or September. Both periods would be nice for either place. Some planning still to do.
                  I'd like to do both in the year.

                  > On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 7:05 AM, charliepolecat <
                  > kennethjessett@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > > John L,
                  > >
                  > > Why September? Can you give some insights on why you think this is a good
                  > > month to do the trail?
                  > >
                  > > Ken
                  > >
                  > I like the cooler weather. Us San Franciscans are heat wimps.
                  >
                  > You can get some fall colors in the Aspens.
                  >
                  > [image: Inline image 1]
                  >
                  > Link to picture if you can't see it
                  >
                  > http://www.oceanlight.com/spotlight.php?img=17498
                  >
                  > Still enough people to have the occasional good talk, but less feeling of
                  > crowds.
                  >
                  > Easy to get over streams to some of the interesting sidetrips (e.g., Warm
                  > Lake near MTR)
                  >
                  > But mostly, I'm a heat wimp.
                  >
                  > John

                • alanjrich007
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 10, 2012
                    The Camino de Santiago is do-able in May... on the other hand I can't
                    imagine doing the JMT in May unless you really like to posthole and camp
                    in snow! So I'd do the JMT in September...

                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 10, 2012
                      On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 7:42 PM, alanjrich007 <ajralias-ygroups@...> wrote:

                      I can't imagine doing the JMT in May

                      Even if you are comfortable travelling over consolidated spring snow, resupply would be hard on the JMT in May. Many of the standard resupply options will still be closed.  Vermillion for example, was just opening up when I was there May 21-25 of this year and this was a low-snowpack year. On the other hand, it was nice being on the JMT for multiple days and not seeing anyone else.  (I didn't try going over any of the passes - I was just fooling around in the Mono Creek drainage and doing some light trail maintenance and didn't try to go over any passes.)

                      It can be done, just needs some extra prep and skills.  Take one of Ned Tibbits's classes and he'll teach you how.

                      But September certainly wold be easier than May.

                      John
                    • charliepolecat
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 11, 2012
                        Thanks, I remember pictures Ewa sent about the snow cups. Not the nicest things to have to navigate over.

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "alanjrich007" <ajralias-ygroups@...> wrote:

                        > The Camino de Santiago is do-able in May... on the other hand I can't
                        > imagine doing the JMT in May unless you really like to posthole and camp
                        > in snow! So I'd do the JMT in September...
                        >

                        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "charliepolecat"
                        > <kennethjessett@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Not only San Franciscans. I don't know anyone who wouldn't wish for
                        > San Francisco weather year round.
                        > >
                        > > But you get used to the heat, but that doesn't mean you like it or
                        > want it.
                        > >
                        > > I'm tossing up with JMT and the Camino for May or September. Both
                        > periods would be nice for either place. Some planning still to do.
                        > > I'd like to do both in the year.
                        > >

                        > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Ladd johnladd@ wrote:

                        > a good

                        > > > I like the cooler weather. Us San Franciscans are heat wimps.
                        > > >
                        > > > You can get some fall colors in the Aspens.
                        > > >
                        > > > [image: Inline image 1]
                        > > >
                        > > > Link to picture if you can't see it
                        > > >
                        > > > http://www.oceanlight.com/spotlight.php?img=17498
                        > > >
                        > > > Still enough people to have the occasional good talk, but less
                        > feeling of
                        > > > crowds.
                        > > >
                        > > > Easy to get over streams to some of the interesting sidetrips (e.g.,
                        > Warm
                        > > > Lake near MTR)
                        > > >
                        > > > But mostly, I'm a heat wimp.
                        > > >
                        > > > John

                      • scriv.ener
                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 11, 2012
                          And in September you get to miss the skeeters.

                          > On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 7:05 AM, charliepolecat <
                          > kennethjessett@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > **
                          > > John L,
                          > >
                          > > Why September? Can you give some insights on why you
                          > > think this is a good month to do the trail?
                          > >
                          > > Ken
                          > >
                          > I like the cooler weather. Us San Franciscans are heat wimps.

                        • Ned Tibbits
                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 11, 2012
                            Ah, you guys are killing me with talk about what we love to do and teach!
                            Thanks, John, for the bait...

                            “Early-season” (pre-dry-trail) JMT “hiking” (because it incorporates walking on snow, too) is not only free of “skeeters,” but safe (if savvy) and tremendously rewarding! Sure, suncups are something to dance around, and often you’ll find yourself bitching your way through them, but their formation is fascinating and they make good camera-candy. High creek crossings can be a challenge if you find yourself there after the thaw starts, but the trick is to travel the trail before it does! Don’t like four-legged camp-robbers? Get up in the high country during the “early season” and enjoy all its benefits...like no bears, bugs, dirt, or trails (new thought, uh?)

                            Hum...May on the PCT/JMT...is this considered “early season?” By many who follow trails they do! Early Explorers, Mountain-men, and Guides who plied their wilderness savvy so long ago (I’m thinking of Kit Carson, among many) didn’t have signed thoroughfares to follow through the mountains and, yet, they knew where they were going. Travelling these high trails year ‘round is not a current idea. The historians among us can easily note several well-known figures who have done just that. People, today, walk and ski the route, but with much caution and training, to say the least. Is it more dangerous? Of course. Can those dangers be minimized or totally avoided? Of course.

                            It just takes Knowledge, Training, and Experience, each of which can not be eliminated from the equation to build the kind of “mountain-savvy” I’m talking about. Facing the possibility of danger crossing a snow slope or raging creek is not unlike dealing with conflict. First, you’ve got to be aware of and identify its presence. Is this slope avalanche-stable? When was the last snowfall and how thick or heavy was it? What are the layers of snow and ice like in the snowpack beneath me and how well stuck together are they? What is the likelihood the slope can fracture and slide? Are there dangerous aspects to crossing this creek where the summer trail does or should I look elsewhere for a safer, less risky crossing? What are the risks presented to me at this crossing and how can I minimize them? Can the whole thing (slope and creek) be avoided? (Think of the acronym, “STOP,” in these circumstances: Stop, Think, Observe, Plan).

                            Second, use Knowledge and Training to minimize risk. First, Knowledge: “My Avy-1 instructor taught us about slope stability evaluation techniques. Should I dig a snow pit to check it out before proceeding or do I just blow it off in my hurry or enthusiasm and take my chances?” “I have heard that raging creeks are typically lower water volume during the morning hours, so should I just make camp early and wait or plow on through to make the miles I want?” Now, Training: “When I used my ice axe in my uphill hand while making a steep snow traverse in training, I found that it worked better to initiate a Self-Arrest. I should do that now....” “I found that crossing boulder-strewn swiftwater creeks was safer in durable, predictable footwear rather than without. Maybe I should just keep my boots on and change socks on the other side....” “Wait a minute, everybody. Stop! This slope looks too shiny ahead. Could that be ice? We should put on our traction devices just to be safe.” And this brings up the final aspect to the Safety Equation,

                            Wisdom.  It has been said that Experience is the product of Knowledge and Training (Practice). Well, in our book, Wisdom is the culmination of them all and the prize desired through Experience. To place yourself in harm’s way, no matter the environment, without the above three, is simply to invite trouble where Wisdom will only be gained after unnecessary self-inflicted harm.

                            Mountain Education typically teaches our Advanced Snow Skill Courses along the PCT/JMT from Cottonwood to Tioga every year during the months of May and June when there can be 6 to 10 feet of snow covering the summer trail. Ask our students, “Is it dangerous?” “Certainly can be, but we learn to Identify and Avoid, maximizing learning and fun!” would be their answer. If you want this type of mountain experience, so far different from any summer trip, we encourage you to get some training. Many retail outlets, community colleges, private schools, and Universities offer “Outdoor Education” in one form or another. Call and sign up for a course. It will bring you the wisdom, security, and confidence you desire.

                            Among us are many very snow-savvy mountain-men and women who traverse their way for sport and profession every year amongst the high granite and snow-covered spires that populate the High Sierra and have a blast, but put their Wisdom ahead of their Pleasure while so doing in order to keep enjoying its blessings for years to come. Mr. Dittli is one of the grand masters and I’m sure he can add a lot to this discussion about “early season” JMT travel.

                            So, in sum, early season sierra “hiking” is not without hazards, but they can all very easily be avoided or at least minimized with Knowledge, Training, and Experience. Get some and go have some worry-free fun out there!

                            Ned Tibbits, Director
                            Mountain Education
                            www.mountaineducation.org

                            Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:35 AM
                            Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Early planning stages NoBo in Sept 2013

                            --- In mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

                            > On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at
                            7:05 AM, charliepolecat <

                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 11, 2012
                              Ned, it's all about time management. So few of us have the luxury of spending the months crossing the Sierras that the early travelers did.

                              We have to crush our adventurous escapades into the weeks we have, so sometimes, some take the risks you so properly warn against.

                              Not me, though, I value my life and its pleasures. I'm happy to follow the trail that others have blazed.
                            • Ned Tibbits
                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 11, 2012
                                You’re absolutely right, Charlie!

                                Ned Tibbits, Director