[John Muir Trail] Re: Experience with Neo Air Mattresses

  • John
    Message 1 of 61 , Nov 5, 2012
      Don has a good point. The majority of my on trail hiking is with my wife and we use a double quilt I made from a 1.5 lb 700 fill bag. I sewed a very light fabric bottom on it with pad pockets. It works absolutely wonderful and weighs less than 2lbs for two. The only issue I have with it is that on colder nights it can get a little drafty around the shoulders. Lots of room to move around and very light.

      JD
      see the book here

      I haven't gotten around to making a single quilt yet.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Don Amundson <amrowinc@...> wrote:

      > John-Change your ways, get a quilt, end the problem. You may be adverse to the weight savings but think of the advantage of having more room in your pack for other things. :-) I'm a slide sleeper and tend to turn from one side to the other multiple times during the night. If I tossed and turned while sleeping it could be a problem, but I tend to wake up turn over and go back to sleep. With a quilt I find there is no problem rolling over and keeping the quilt in place. Your mileage my vary.
      >
      > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      > From: johnladd@...
      > Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 09:47:47 -0800
      > Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Experience with Neo Air Mattresses

      > Reading the recent sleeping bag comments, it's clear to me that some people turn inside their bags and some people turn the whole bag with them.
      > I'm one of the latter. If I go over on my right side, I'm laying on top of my right-side zipper. If I go into a fetal position, the whole bag comes with me. I suppose it's because I have a fairly tight mummy bag. Some people probably wouldn't like it that way, but I find it fairly natural.
      >

      > Though it is probably the reason I couldn't (without changing the way I use a bag) have a bag with no insulation (or less insulation) in the bottom of the bag. If I were on my right side, by backside would be uninsulated
      >
      > John Curran Ladd
      > 1616 Castro Street
      > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
      > 415-648-9279

    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 61 of 61 , Dec 2, 2012
        Get the women's Prolite, it's warmer than the men's.

        Barbara

        On Dec 2, 2012, at 7:39 PM, "rnagarajan" <ravi@...> wrote:

        I spent some time at REI today and looked at the pads. Prolite may be the one for me. The material reminds me of my old thermarest which was heavy but seemed indestructible. Even if Prolite develops an unfixable leak it seems like there would still be some insulation. And the regular size is only 16 ounces. I think I can get by without the long version. But I'm sure Neoair or Synmat is more comfortable.