Hiker Slips on Ice on Mt. Whitney

  • Roleigh
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2012
      I did not even know Lone Pine had a hospital.

      Sent to you by Roleigh via Google Reader:

      via Hiker Hell by b-real-admin on 11/4/12

      Photobucket

      Who: A 66-year-old man

      Where: The 13,300-foot level of Mt. Whtney

      His mistake: Could’ve gotten on the points or turned around

      What happened: A man was hiking up Mt. Whitney and came across the cable sections just below the crest of the mountain. He encountered ice, slipped and fell. It is unclear how far he fell or what injuries he sustained. A CHP helicopter from Fresno was called in to rescue the man and was then taken to a hospital in Lone Pine.

      Although I am not exactly sure where this took place, there is a cabled section near the area right below a natural spring that tends to create a sheet of ice on the trail for 20 – 30 feet. The section is usually so short that you don’t bring crampons and most use the cables and the wall to shimmy by it. Tough decision making is made here.

      Read the original story here.

      Share/Bookmark

      Things you can do from here: