[John Muir Trail] Re: Experience with Neo Air Mattresses

  • rnagarajan
    Message 1 of 61 , Nov 4, 2012
      I'm curious whether anyone has experience with the Big Agnes sleep systems. I'm quite impressed with the ease of setup and quality of my new Copper Spur UL1 and decided to look at the BA sleeping bag line.

      The sleeping bags have an integrated sleeve for the pad which seems like an attractive feature to prevent slipping off the pad. Bags don't have insulation on the bottom of the bag which saves weight but relies on the pad for insulation. It looks like the bags are designed for use with the BA pads but could work with other pads as well.

      Two thoughts on this system: First, lack of bottom insulation on the bag would make failure of an air mattress even worse. Second, would putting the bag inside the sleeve perhaps protect it from damage and lower the risk of failure (assuming the pad isn't used anywhere outside the sleeve)?

      I'm looking at Mystic SL 15 degree or Lost Ranger 15 degree or Zirkel 20 degree coupled with on of the 15 degree rated BA pads. Not cheap but these systems seem light and warm.
    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 61 of 61 , Dec 2, 2012
        Get the women's Prolite, it's warmer than the men's.

        Barbara

        On Dec 2, 2012, at 7:39 PM, "rnagarajan" <ravi@...> wrote:

        I spent some time at REI today and looked at the pads. Prolite may be the one for me. The material reminds me of my old thermarest which was heavy but seemed indestructible. Even if Prolite develops an unfixable leak it seems like there would still be some insulation. And the regular size is only 16 ounces. I think I can get by without the long version. But I'm sure Neoair or Synmat is more comfortable.