Re: [John Muir Trail] OVERDUE HIKER

    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2012
      From NPS Morning Report today. Not encouraging

      Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks (CA)
      Search Continues For Missing Hiker

      Search efforts continue for hiker Larry Conn, who’s been missing since October 19th. A total of 35 staff from Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, the Kern County Sheriff’s Office, Sierra Madre Search and Rescue, and Yosemite National Park were part of the operation. Six ground search teams and two contract helicopters focused on specific high-probability areas on Tuesday, including likely travel corridors/camp locations around Pinchot Pass, Taboose Pass, and Split Mountain. Search conditions remained challenging, with significant areas covered by a blanket of snow, masking the ground and potential clues. Temperatures have ranged from the mid-40s in the daytime to the low-20s at night. Ground crews have been effective in searching for clues within the established search area. Despite aggressive searching, no clues have been located that have been tied to Conn since he was seen by another hiker near his vehicle on October 19th. Ground search assignments have been completed and ground teams have been removed from the search area.
      [Submitted by Dana Dierkes, Public Affairs Officer]

      On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 4:44 AM, Todd Sharp <t_b_sharp@...> wrote:

      OVERDUE HIKER
      LAWRENCE (LARRY) CONN

      AGE: 53-years-old
      HEIGHT: 5’10”
      WEIGHT: 160 lbs.
      HAIR: Short, black with gray
      IDENTIFYING FEATURES: Mustache and goatee

      HIKING ROUTE INCLUDED: On Friday, Oct. 19, 2012, Larry started his hike at the Taboose Creek Trailhead in the Inyo National Forest with plans to travel over Taboose Pass toward the John Muir Trail in Kings Canyon National Park. His route may have included Split Mountain and areas to the south, including Pinchot Pass. He planned to be back on Monday, Oct. 22, 2012.

      CLOTHING/EQUIPMENT: Likely wearing dark clothing, may have a red or yellow bandana, may be using a dark gray or blue backpack and using a tan/red dome tent.

      GENERAL INFO: Larry is an experienced backpacker and is familiar with the area.

      IF YOU HAVE SEEN/CONTACTED HIM OR HAVE MORE INFO: Please contact Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks’ Dispatch at (559) 565-3195 OR the Inyo County Sheriff’s Department at (760) 878-0383.

      Pics:

    • Sierracanon
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2012
        Yesterday, SEKI stated that the search had been suspended.

        http://www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/upload/FINAL-Efforts-suspended-in-Search-for-Missing-Hiker-Larry-Conn-at-KICA-Nov-1-2012.pdf

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2, 2012
          On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 8:22 AM, Sierracanon <dlink_95670@...> wrote:
          Yesterday, SEKI stated that the search had been suspended.

          That's sad, but rescue is dangerous and at some point the diminishing hopes of rescue are outweighed by risk to the SAR teams, esp. in worsening weather.

          The lessons here would seem to be: (1) Always leave a trip plan with someone. (2) Carry at least a Spot Tracker to identify your location if immobilized by weather or injury, if not a full-on Sat phone. (3) Remember that these rules apply to you even if you are a very experienced, capable hiker.
        • Ned Tibbits
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 2, 2012
            Let me emphasize the last point John said, “Remember that these rules apply to you even if you are a very experienced, capable hiker.”

            Although I spend much of my time each year training (for National Ski Patrol, Wilderness EMT, Search and Rescue, and urban Paramedics) and improving my skill and knowledge base to pass on to our students, situations and circumstances have happened to me that, either I didn’t notice because I was distracted, missed some detail around me, or didn’t consider the possibility of during planning/prep, caught me off-guard and put me in a dangerous position. So, even the experienced and wise can get in trouble!

            What did Daniel Boone answer about whether he had ever gotten lost? Something like, “No. Just momentarily misplaced.”

            Know the Realities of the Trail ahead, prepare for them (even if they probably won’t happen), and enjoy the trip! If you don’t know what they could be, then get some advice or training, test it for yourself (to see if it “works” for you), and you’ll rest easier, be more aware, and certainly be more confident out there!

            Ned Tibbits, Director
            Mountain Education
            www.mountaineducation.org