Re: SEKI Wilderness Stewardship Plan Open for Comment

  • Roleigh
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2012
      I recommend as many interested visit this forum to follow this thread. We should comment on the proposal to the government too.

      Sent to you by Roleigh via Google Reader:

      Posted by Steve C:
      I attended the Visalia "workshop" with wagga this evening. It was primarily a presentation by several Park Service staff members describing the process, with a question/discussion period afterwards.They have had several earlier workshops and thankfully, the presenter indicated that Alternative 6 got some pretty harsh reviews. Alternative 6 is titled: [quote]Alternative 6 – Provide for the most unconstrained wilderness experience and protect wilderness character by significantly reducing visitor access.[/quote] I was able to point out that the title is pretty much an oxymoron: "[i]unconstrained ...experience[/i]" while significantly [i]restricting access[/i]. I asked, "Does it make sense to give some sort of ideal experience for a few while completely blocking access to so many others?"They asked me to be sure and submit my comments on that topic. I sure hope many people will!The signage at the junction of the JMT and the Mt Whitney Trail was mentioned, and we were assured that it was already being addressed.The topic of usage of hi-tech devices in the wilderness was addressed, and the presenter had a surprisingly negative view of cell phones and Spot units. He seemed offended that people might use cell phones in the backcountry, but more was said about hikers carrying ipods with small speakers mounted so everyone around them could hear what they were playing. Thankfully it was pointed out that that sort of thing is a citable violation.After the meeting, I asked the presenter privately more about his disdain for Spot and phones. It was curious that he thought a hand held gps/map device was ok, but any sort of communications or music device was not. His opinion was that people couldn't get the full wilderness experience if they were "connected" to civilization. I am sure all (or even most of) the staff don't share his feelings, but I still found it interesting, especially in light of the current SAR operations.

      Things you can do from here:

    • charliepolecat
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2012
        I agree with leaving the 'area broadcasting' music makers at home, for the rest, it's a personal choice. Cell phones don't work in much of the wilderness anyway.

        But I wonder if the question of unprepared hikers will be addressed. I attended a survival preparedness session at the local REI this past Monday. The subject matter revolved around how to survive once a personal disaster occurred, but not how to be better prepared so you did not get into difficulties in the first place.
      • Ned Tibbits
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 31, 2012
          Ah, Mr. Polecat, and that’s what it’s all about!

          Prepare to sleep warm, dry, and well-fed through the things you can not control and learn to recognize the things you can, get through them safe and sound, and know when to stay the hell away from the rest!

          Ned Tibbits, Director
          Mountain Education
          www.mountaineducation.org

          Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:18 AM
          Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: SEKI Wilderness Stewardship Plan Open for Comment

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2012
            Quite true Mr. Tibbits.

            We would all be wise to follow the Boy Scouts Motto: Be prepared.