Re: Wild Bill's Bacon Jerky

  • charliepolecat
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 27, 2012
      If it walks like a duck ...

      Seems like a commercial to me Roleigh. ;-)

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 27, 2012
        The blogger reviews hundreds of beef jerky. He only rates "best" about 10-15% of the time. Certainly not an ad. My experience on the jmt talking to other hikers is that beef jerky and food bars are probably the two most common foods. Also talking to finished jmt hikers in lone pine most relish having bacon again. In lone pine they had a bacon jerky I tried but not as good as cooked bacon in a cafe. I found the below very interesting as this fussy reviewer gave it a best which he rarely does.

        On Oct 27, 2012, at 1:27 PM, "charliepolecat" <kennethjessett@...> wrote:

        If it walks like a duck ...

        Seems like a commercial to me Roleigh. ;-)

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <marti124@...> wrote:

        > I used to forward "best" rated jerky reviews here but once we created sidebar I posted them there. But for this I had to forward here. Who does not like bacon? (Vegans aside). Looks ideal for a jmt hike.
        > Sent to you via Google Reader
        >
        > Wild Bill's Bacon Jerky
        >

        > Wild Bill's brand of jerky is owned by Monogram Food Solutions, based out of Memphis, TN. Monogram also owns the Trails Best brand of jerky, as well as several others.
        >
        > This Bacon Jerky was launched a year ago this month, and sold as Wild Bill's throughout the Eastern USA, but also as Trails Best in the Western USA and at Wal-Mart, and then as Uncle Buck's Jerky throughout Bass Pro Shops.
        >
        > I had previously written a review of the Trails Best Bacon Jerky last July. This Wild Bill's version is basically the same jerky, just a different name, all being made from Monogram's meat processing facilities in Minnesota, Virginia, and Indiana.
        >

        > Ingredients
        >
        > Cured with water, salt, sugar, smoke flavoring, sodium phosphate, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite.
        >
        > Taste
        >
        > The first thing I taste from the surface of these pieces is a smoky, bacon flavor. A moderate saltiness comes in next, then followed by a bacon-fat flavor.
        >
        > The chewing flavor starts with a more defined bacon flavor, much like real, good old fashioned bacon fresh out of the frying pan. The saltiness increases.
        >
        > For being labeled as "Bacon Jerky", this certainly fits the bill. It tastes just like real bacon, the same kind of bacon you get from the grocery store, but in thicker sliced variety, more comparable to bacon ends.
        >
        > There's a nice smoky flavor in this jerky, and it seems to be a little more noticeable than regular bacon.
        >
        > That's largely the flavor of this jerky, just pure, good old fashioned, just like mom used to fry up on a Sunday morning, kind of bacon flavor. It's a little more salty than standard bacon. I don't taste any other seasonings.
        >
        > The sugar ingredient noted above is barely noticeable.
        >
        > Meat Consistency
        >
        > These appear to be real slices of bacon, thicker than standard bacon, more similar to bacon ends.
        >
        > It's mostly a dry jerky with slightly moist, slightly oily surface feel. This is more like bacon cooked half-way between soft and crispy. These are rather easy to eat, with some of the meatier pieces requiring a little bit of effort.
        >
        > The chewing texture starts out feeling moist and tender, but having the same chewy, dry feel of jerky. The meat tends to be more dry and...
        >

        > Sent from my iPhone
        > See my Google Profile for interesting research links:
        > http://tinyurl.com/3vnolh8

      • cjoslyn99
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 29, 2012
          I brought shelf stable bacon this summer (i.e., cooked, in plastic
          package and good for a few days after opening). So tasty...peanut
          butter, bacon, cheese and mayo tortilla wraps for lunch.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 29, 2012
            I cook double-smoked bacon as a confit and it's surprisingly trail-stable.  You salt it, cook it to drive out almost all water and then pack into plastic jars submerged in its own fat.  The fat keeps air away from the protein. Add to pasta (with hard Parmesan cheese and some shallots, you can field-make a pretty good Spaghetti Carbonara), to grits, or to any bean- or split-pea based soup.

            If you use Recycle number 5 plastic jars, you can sterilize them as they handle heat well.  Sterilize the jars, fill with still-hot bacon, top off with hot fat to completely submerge the bacon, seal and then put in a hot water bath (simmering) for 15 minutes. Works better with chunks of slab bacon than with strips.

            I've found Schaller & Weber is a particularly good brand. Double-smoked bacons are subject to more curing and smoking than regular bacon and therefore probably are part of the reason I've found it to be trail-stable.

            http://www.schallerweber.com/product/double-smoked-bacon/

            Not cheap.

            I try to finish any given plastic jar of the bacon confit within 3-4 days of opening it.

            Try at you own risk. But it is really, really a treat on the trail.