OVERDUE HIKER

  • Todd Sharp
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 25, 2012
      OVERDUE HIKER
      LAWRENCE (LARRY) CONN

      AGE: 53-years-old
      HEIGHT: 5’10”
      WEIGHT: 160 lbs.
      HAIR: Short, black with gray
      IDENTIFYING FEATURES: Mustache and goatee

      HIKING ROUTE INCLUDED: On Friday, Oct. 19, 2012, Larry started his hike at the Taboose Creek Trailhead in the Inyo National Forest with plans to travel over Taboose Pass toward the John Muir Trail in Kings Canyon National Park. His route may have included Split Mountain and areas to the south, including Pinchot Pass. He planned to be back on Monday, Oct. 22, 2012.

      CLOTHING/EQUIPMENT: Likely wearing dark clothing, may have a red or yellow bandana, may be using a dark gray or blue backpack and using a tan/red dome tent.

      GENERAL INFO: Larry is an experienced backpacker and is familiar with the area.

      IF YOU HAVE SEEN/CONTACTED HIM OR HAVE MORE INFO: Please contact Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks’ Dispatch at (559) 565-3195 OR the Inyo County Sheriff’s Department at (760) 878-0383.

      Pics:

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 26, 2012
          Update from this morning's NPS report:

          Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks (CA)
          Search Underway For Missing Hiker

          A search is underway in Kings Canyon National Park and the adjacent Inyo National Forest for 53-year-old Larry Conn of Pacific Palisades, who failed to return from a hike as planned last Monday. Twenty people from the park and the Inyo County Sheriff’s Department are involved in the operation, which includes both ground searchers and three helicopters, one with thermal imaging technology. Efforts have been hindered by snow and high winds. Conn started his hike last Friday at the Taboose Creek trailhead in the southern portion of the Sierra Nevada in Inyo National Forest with plans to travel over Taboose Pass toward the John Muir Trail in Kings Canyon National Park. His route may have included Split Mountain and areas to the south, including Pinchot Pass. He planned to return to the Taboose Creek trailhead last Monday. The search area is in rugged terrain between 10,000 and 12,000 feet. Between a foot and a foot-and-a-half of snow is on the ground in the search area. Temperatures are ranging from the mid-30s in the day to the low 20s at night.

          http://www.nps.gov/morningreport/

[...]

        • Don
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 26, 2012
            If you're interested in following this with more details go to High Sierra Topix:

            http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8537
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
              Here's the map of the search area for Larry Conn. which covers what appears well over 100 square miles.  This is what you do to the SAR folks if you don't leave a hiking plan behind and don't bring some form of PLB like a Spot Tracker (or better, a sat phone)

              URL of image if you can't see it

              Inline image 1
            • Ned Tibbits
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
                Man, “experienced” or not, its just the wrong time to have gone into that area. I’m sure his experience level would have told him that within 3 days a storm was expected to impact the region.... I wonder why the map does not consider his possible route heading down the Kings to the west? Even in our short drainages here in Tahoe, we have worked many similar SARs and with air help have located our missing parties in a short time. The main hope is, now that his dirt track is buried under two feet of snow, that he can still move enough to leave a snow print that can be seen while we have yet no additional storms coming in (‘till Tuesday?) to bury it!

                Ned Tibbits, Director
                Mountain Education
                www.mountaineducation.org

                Here's the map of the search area for Larry Conn. which covers what appears well over 100 square miles.  This is what you do to the SAR folks if you don't leave a hiking plan behind and don't bring some form of PLB like a Spot Tracker (or better, a sat phone)

                URL of image if you can't see it

                Inline image 1
              • Barbara Karagosian

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
                    Thanks, Barb! Missed that...

                    Ned Tibbits, Director
                    Mountain Education
                    www.mountaineducation.org

                    Here's the map of the search area for Larry Conn. which covers what appears well over 100 square miles.  This is what you do to the SAR folks if you don't leave a hiking plan behind and don't bring some form of PLB like a Spot Tracker (or better, a sat phone)

                    URL of image if you can't see it

                    Inline image 1
                  • shawn peterson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
                      A good friend from Monterey County SAR has been deployed to the area as well.....still no luck according to her and a a very wide area to cover.

                      Shawn

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012

                        I'm not sure which hiker was found yet...but this was just sent to me from my Monterey SAR friend....there were two they were searching for

                        "So we get dropped by Blackhawks at a beautiful Sierra lake, are discussing where to set up camp and where to start looking for our missing backpacker, and... a helicopter spots him, just up a scree slope and around a lake from where we were! We were glad he was fine, but 18 minutes on scene felt like a bit of a gyp."

                        Shawn

                        A good friend from Monterey County SAR has been deployed to the area as well.....still no luck according to her and a a very wide area to cover.

                        Shawn

                        Here's the map of the search area for Larry Conn. which covers what appears well over 100 square miles.  This is what you do to the SAR folks if you don't leave a hiking plan behind and don't bring some form of PLB like a Spot Tracker (or better, a sat phone)

                        URL of image if you can't see it

                        Inline image 1

                      • John
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
                          It was the west side one (Blackcap Basin), thank you for the info!

                          John

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 1, 2012
                              From NPS Morning Report today. Not encouraging

                              Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks (CA)
                              Search Continues For Missing Hiker

                              Search efforts continue for hiker Larry Conn, who’s been missing since October 19th. A total of 35 staff from Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, the Kern County Sheriff’s Office, Sierra Madre Search and Rescue, and Yosemite National Park were part of the operation. Six ground search teams and two contract helicopters focused on specific high-probability areas on Tuesday, including likely travel corridors/camp locations around Pinchot Pass, Taboose Pass, and Split Mountain. Search conditions remained challenging, with significant areas covered by a blanket of snow, masking the ground and potential clues. Temperatures have ranged from the mid-40s in the daytime to the low-20s at night. Ground crews have been effective in searching for clues within the established search area. Despite aggressive searching, no clues have been located that have been tied to Conn since he was seen by another hiker near his vehicle on October 19th. Ground search assignments have been completed and ground teams have been removed from the search area.
                              [Submitted by Dana Dierkes, Public Affairs Officer]

[...]

                            • Sierracanon
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 2, 2012
                                Yesterday, SEKI stated that the search had been suspended.

                                http://www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/upload/FINAL-Efforts-suspended-in-Search-for-Missing-Hiker-Larry-Conn-at-KICA-Nov-1-2012.pdf

                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 2, 2012
                                  On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 8:22 AM, Sierracanon <dlink_95670@...> wrote:
                                  Yesterday, SEKI stated that the search had been suspended.

                                  That's sad, but rescue is dangerous and at some point the diminishing hopes of rescue are outweighed by risk to the SAR teams, esp. in worsening weather.

                                  The lessons here would seem to be: (1) Always leave a trip plan with someone. (2) Carry at least a Spot Tracker to identify your location if immobilized by weather or injury, if not a full-on Sat phone. (3) Remember that these rules apply to you even if you are a very experienced, capable hiker.
                                • Ned Tibbits
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 2, 2012
                                    Let me emphasize the last point John said, “Remember that these rules apply to you even if you are a very experienced, capable hiker.”

                                    Although I spend much of my time each year training (for National Ski Patrol, Wilderness EMT, Search and Rescue, and urban Paramedics) and improving my skill and knowledge base to pass on to our students, situations and circumstances have happened to me that, either I didn’t notice because I was distracted, missed some detail around me, or didn’t consider the possibility of during planning/prep, caught me off-guard and put me in a dangerous position. So, even the experienced and wise can get in trouble!

                                    What did Daniel Boone answer about whether he had ever gotten lost? Something like, “No. Just momentarily misplaced.”

                                    Know the Realities of the Trail ahead, prepare for them (even if they probably won’t happen), and enjoy the trip! If you don’t know what they could be, then get some advice or training, test it for yourself (to see if it “works” for you), and you’ll rest easier, be more aware, and certainly be more confident out there!

                                    Ned Tibbits, Director
                                    Mountain Education
                                    www.mountaineducation.org