JMT pictures

  • greg
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 29 8:26 PM
      Hey guys,

      I finally finished up my pictures from the JMT which I completed August 27th. If you're interested, you can see them at

      http://gregp.smugmug.com/

      Scroll down a bit and you'll see John Muir Trail galleries 1 through 6. I felt breaking the trip up into segments would make for easier viewing. Most pictures are captioned making these galleries a trip report as well.

      I'd like to again, thank everyone for the helpful advice. It was truly a memorable, and fantastic trip and you all helped to make it happen.

      So thanks again, and maybe next season I'll be able to offer up some helpful advice to someone getting ready for this epic hike.

      Take Care

      Greg
    • John
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 29 8:42 PM
        Very nice photos!

        JD

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregp701@...> wrote:

        > Hey guys,
        >
        > I finally finished up my pictures from the JMT which I completed August 27th. If you're interested, you can see them at
        >
        > http://gregp.smugmug.com/
        >
        > Scroll down a bit and you'll see John Muir Trail galleries 1 through 6. I felt breaking the trip up into segments would make for easier viewing. Most pictures are captioned making these galleries a trip report as well.
        >
        > I'd like to again, thank everyone for the helpful advice. It was truly a memorable, and fantastic trip and you all helped to make it happen.
        >
        > So thanks again, and maybe next season I'll be able to offer up some helpful advice to someone getting ready for this epic hike.
        >
        > Take Care
        >
        > Greg

      • alanjrich007
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 29 9:20 PM
          Wow - great photos - thanks for posting!

          Alan

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregp701@...> wrote:

          > Hey guys,
          >
          > I finally finished up my pictures from the JMT which I completed
          August 27th. If you're interested, you can see them at

          > http://gregp.smugmug.com/
          >
          > Scroll down a bit and you'll see John Muir Trail galleries 1 through
          6. I felt breaking the trip up into segments would make for easier
          viewing. Most pictures are captioned making these galleries a trip
          report as well.

          > I'd like to again, thank everyone for the helpful advice. It was truly
          a memorable, and fantastic trip and you all helped to make it happen.

          > So thanks again, and maybe next season I'll be able to offer up some
          helpful advice to someone getting ready for this epic hike.

          > Take Care
          >
          > Greg

        • robert shattuck
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 29 9:53 PM
            Hey Greg,

            Congrats . . . wondering when you'd show up.

            Bob

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 30 9:48 AM

              Those are neat pictures.  Interesting use of light, the wide-angle perspective, and the long exposures.  Looks like you were not going ultra-light on the photography gear.   What lens(es) were you carrying with the D800?  A super wide zoom?  A handful of primes?

              Jim Ringland

              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 30 11:04 AM
                Great pictures, Greg. What type of camera were you using?

                Cheers,

                Deb
              • greg padgett
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 30 12:19 PM
                  Thank you John.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 30 12:21 PM
                    Thank you Alan!

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 30 12:24 PM
                      Bob!,

                      Thanks man.

                      It took me a while to finish them up. Some still need some work but for now I'm done.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 30 12:30 PM
                        Jim,

                        Definitely wasn't a light weight set up but the camera gear was my luxury item for the trip and taking pictures is a hobby for me.

                        I took a Nikon 14-24 F2.8, and a Nikon 24-120 F4. Both are excellent lenses and pretty much covered everything I needed.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 30 12:31 PM
                          Hey Deb,

                          I'm glad you liked them!

                          I used a Nikon D800.

                          Great pictures, Greg. What type of camera were you using?

                          Cheers,

                          Deb

                        • rnagarajan
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 30 12:35 PM
                            Incredible pictures... The pics/description of MTR firmed up my decision to plan on two nights there.

                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregp701@...> wrote:

                            > Hey guys,
                            >
                            > I finally finished up my pictures from the JMT which I completed August 27th. If you're interested, you can see them at
                            >
                            > http://gregp.smugmug.com/
                            >
                            > Scroll down a bit and you'll see John Muir Trail galleries 1 through 6. I felt breaking the trip up into segments would make for easier viewing. Most pictures are captioned making these galleries a trip report as well.
                            >
                            > I'd like to again, thank everyone for the helpful advice. It was truly a memorable, and fantastic trip and you all helped to make it happen.
                            >
                            > So thanks again, and maybe next season I'll be able to offer up some helpful advice to someone getting ready for this epic hike.
                            >
                            > Take Care
                            >
                            > Greg

                          • greg padgett
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 30 3:11 PM
                              rnagaranjan,

                              One thing I left out of the description and that I need to go back and add is just how thoughtful, helpful and accomodating the staff at MTR really are. They are wonderful folks that make you feel very welcome there.

                              I can without a doubt highly recommend them. You won't be sorry you stayed there, but you'll be sorry you have to leave.

                              Incredible pictures... The pics/description of MTR firmed up my decision to plan on two nights there.

                              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregp701@...> wrote:

                              > Hey guys,
                              >
                              > I finally finished up my pictures from the JMT which I completed August 27th. If you're interested, you can see them at
                              >
                              > http://gregp.smugmug.com/
                              >
                              > Scroll down a bit and you'll see John Muir Trail galleries 1 through 6. I felt breaking the trip up into segments would make for easier viewing. Most pictures are captioned making these galleries a trip report as well.
                              >
                              > I'd like to again, thank everyone for the helpful advice. It was truly a memorable, and fantastic trip and you all helped to make it happen.
                              >
                              > So thanks again, and maybe next season I'll be able to offer up some helpful advice to someone getting ready for this epic hike.
                              >
                              > Take Care
                              >
                              > Greg

                            • brucelem12
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 1, 2012
                                What a marvelous photo trail journal/virtual hike. It's such fun to see a hike step by step. Fabulous photography. Very interesting how the changing conditions, skies, time of day, (and probably mental/physical state), influence everyone's perception of the "most beautiful" spots (and "hardest" passes :) ). I had somewhat different (but equally fabulous) impressions as a first time thru hiker this year. Makes me realize all the more that I'll be hiking the JMT many times to take advantage of the inevitably completely different experiences. :)

                                You took so many gorgeous shots I couldn't begin to pick the best, but some that that particularly stick with me are the Marie Lakes set, MTR baths, and Evolution Lake (especially that rich blue/orange contrast shot that was your favorite, and the one w/ variations nearer the southern end...WOW),
                                Thank goodness you were close to Mammoth when your camera froze up. That would have been a tragedy to miss out on any of those photos.

                                Fun discovery for me in one of your second day shots... that's me wearing the reddish orange jacket at left in your shot of the Tuolumne ranger campfire talk. :) He was good wasn't he! I finished my JMT thru hike a few days before that, and was back up in Yosemite to hike around some more. I'll be posting photos/videos eventually, but due to my rather arduous editing techniques, it will be quite awhile.

                                Congrats on an obviously very rewarding hike, and thanks for sharing!!

                                Bruce

                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregp701@...> wrote:

                                > Hey guys,
                                >
                                > I finally finished up my pictures from the JMT which I completed August 27th. If you're interested, you can see them at
                                >
                                > http://gregp.smugmug.com/
                                >
                                > Scroll down a bit and you'll see John Muir Trail galleries 1 through 6. I felt breaking the trip up into segments would make for easier viewing. Most pictures are captioned making these galleries a trip report as well.
                                >
                                > I'd like to again, thank everyone for the helpful advice. It was truly a memorable, and fantastic trip and you all helped to make it happen.
                                >
                                > So thanks again, and maybe next season I'll be able to offer up some helpful advice to someone getting ready for this epic hike.
                                >
                                > Take Care
                                >
                                > Greg

                              • ahhh_go
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 1, 2012
                                  Greg - these are beautiful. Thanks for sharing!!

                                  Scott
                                • Ron Cordell
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 1, 2012
                                    Greg, these are great photos! Thanks a lot for sending the links.
                                  • greg padgett
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 1, 2012
                                      Hey Bruce,

                                      Thank you for the kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. As you probably know, we had quite the variety of weather out there this year and that meant truly amazing clouds which led to even more amazing sunrises and sunsets. It definitely didn't hurt from a photography standpoint. I feel extremely fortunate to have been there for such conditions.
                                      It's also very cool that you happened to be at the Ranger's campfire chat that evening. Yes, he was quite the entertainer. One of the highlights of the trip for me.

                                      I look forward to seeing the videos and pictures you put together. I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

                                      Take care

                                      Greg
                                      What a marvelous photo trail journal/virtual hike. It's such fun to see a hike step by step. Fabulous photography. Very interesting how the changing conditions, skies, time of day, (and probably mental/physical state), influence everyone's perception of the "most beautiful" spots (and "hardest" passes :) ). I had somewhat different (but equally fabulous) impressions as a first time thru hiker this year. Makes me realize all the more that I'll be hiking the JMT many times to take advantage of the inevitably completely different experiences. :)

                                      You took so many gorgeous shots I couldn't begin to pick the best, but some that that particularly stick with me are the Marie Lakes set, MTR baths, and Evolution Lake (especially that rich blue/orange contrast shot that was your favorite, and the one w/ variations nearer the southern end...WOW),
                                      Thank goodness you were close to Mammoth when your camera froze up. That would have been a tragedy to miss out on any of those photos.

                                      Fun discovery for me in one of your second day shots... that's me wearing the reddish orange jacket at left in your shot of the Tuolumne ranger campfire talk. :) He was good wasn't he! I finished my JMT thru hike a few days before that, and was back up in Yosemite to hike around some more. I'll be posting photos/videos eventually, but due to my rather arduous editing techniques, it will be quite awhile.

                                      Congrats on an obviously very rewarding hike, and thanks for sharing!!

                                      Bruce

                                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregp701@...> wrote:

                                      > Hey guys,
                                      >
                                      > I finally finished up my pictures from the JMT which I completed August 27th. If you're interested, you can see them at
                                      >
                                      > http://gregp.smugmug.com/
                                      >
                                      > Scroll down a bit and you'll see John Muir Trail galleries 1 through 6. I felt breaking the trip up into segments would make for easier viewing. Most pictures are captioned making these galleries a trip report as well.
                                      >
                                      > I'd like to again, thank everyone for the helpful advice. It was truly a memorable, and fantastic trip and you all helped to make it happen.
                                      >
                                      > So thanks again, and maybe next season I'll be able to offer up some helpful advice to someone getting ready for this epic hike.
                                      >
                                      > Take Care
                                      >
                                      > Greg

                                    • greg padgett
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 1, 2012
                                        Thanks Scott, glad you liked them!

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 1, 2012
                                          Thank you Ron, glad you liked them!

                                          Greg, these are great photos! Thanks a lot for sending the links.
                                        • scriv.ener
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 1, 2012
                                            Thank you very much for sharing. You have a keen eye for the light, and know how to use your equipment to bring it to best use. I enjoyed your work.

                                            Of course, there were the 100 switchbacks, then the long sweep down to the Portal! Do you have photos of the descent?

                                            Jeffrey Zimmerman
                                            Sonoma County
                                            JMT '04

                                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregp701@...> wrote:

                                            > Hey guys,
                                            >
                                            > I finally finished up my pictures from the JMT which I
                                            > completed August 27th. If you're interested, you can see
                                            > them at
                                            >
                                            > http://gregp.smugmug.com/
                                          • brucelem12
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Oct 3, 2012
                                              I caught mostly mild weather/clear skies late in late July/early Aug. The hiking photographers conundrum of wishing for clear/boring skies and easy hiking weather, or dramatic/photogenic skies and less ideal hiking. :)
                                              Bruce