Re: Bushwalker Died From Drinking Too Much Water

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 27, 2012
      Interesting thread to read about the incident on Whitney trail. Ended up being a case of basilar artery migraine.  Something new to me.

      Sent to you via Google Reader

      Re: Bushwalker Died From Drinking Too Much Water

      Posted by Steve C:

      This was posted on the wpsmb today. INCREDIBLE story. In my non-medical opinion, it is a case of hyponatremia on the Main Mt Whitney Trail.

      Posted here: [url=http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92683#Post92683]Trying to understand what happened to me[/url] by dharma at 09-26-2012 04:32 PM

      [color:#000099][i]Please forgive the extremely long post, but I had a frightening experience this past Monday, and trying to understand what happened. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

      My original plan, was to sleep at the Portal on Sunday night, and take it very slowly, sleeping at Outpost Camp on Monday, Trail Camp on Tuesday, and then hopefully summit on Wednesday.

      I had a permit for 2 people, and I think the first mistake was not canceling my trip when my partner bailed at the last minute. I have hiked by myself quite a bit, so I wasn't concerned, but I should have been. I got to the Portal as planned on Sunday. Had a great time just soaking up the atmosphere, eating, hydrating etc. and attempted to go to sleep around 9pm. Problem was, I couldn't sleep at all. Not a wink. I normally have problems sleeping before a big hike, so this didn't bother me. I continued to try to sleep until 4am, at which time a good many day hikers were heading up, and even with ear plugs I could hear them, so I then gave up and made myself some coffee. After picking up my permit and having an awesome breakfast at the Portal, (and I ate almost all of it), I started on the trail.

      I have had issues with dehydration and loss of appetite in the past, so I paid special attention to these. I was eating snacks every hour, and drinking large amounts of fluid, (I had 3 liters of water and 1 liter of cytomax by the time I reached Outpost Camp). I don't feel I was dehydrated, because I drank all my water and Cytomax, and my urine was clear.

      Despite not a wink of sleep, I felt surprisingly fantastic. Great appetite and energy level. I took things slow, as I have a chronic knee issue, but still did well. When I got to Outpost Camp, I remember feeling wonderful, and because I arrived earlier than expected, I wanted to take some photos of the meadow. I set up camp, filtered and drank more water, ate a full meal, (I was ravenous) and did my dishes. Out of the clear blue sky, I was suddenly overwhelmed by a fatigued feeling that I've never experienced before. The exhaustion hit me like a brick wall, but I chalked it up to not sleeping the night before. Luckily, everything was prepped for the morning, so even tho it was before 5pm, I decided to go to sleep.

      I only slept for 1/2 hour, when I was awoken by a severe headache, the likes of which I have never experienced. I have migraines sometimes, and this was worse. I got out of the sleeping bag to get some Ibuprofen from the bear canister, and when I got back to my camp, there was a woman sitting there in shorts and a tank top, with no daypa...

      Sent from my iPad
    • Spencer Goodwine

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 28, 2012
          Hello all,

          The person who had the bad experience on the Main Whitney Trail was me. Perhaps I can shed some light on all of this.

          I actually posted my story on the Whitney Portal message board, because I didn't understand what had happened to me, and I was assuming it was altitude sickness. Two doctors on that forum (who I am very greatful to) made some excellent points, and one actually brought up migraine (as the symptoms were neurological) which prompted a visit to the doctor. The doctor diagnosed it as Basilar Type Migraine, which causes all kinds of bizarre symptoms, and can even cause people to lose consciousness. One of the most famous examples of someone who had this type of migraine, was the newscaster who was talking gibberish on-air, and everyone thought she had a stroke. In fact, she suffered this same type of migraine.

          Before I was diagnosed by a doctor, many people, in an effort to try to help me figure out what happened, brought up hyponatremia, which was actually very astute, as I had ingested a very large amount of water. They did not know this is pretty normal for me, as being a menopausal woman (sorry to the men out there), I have extreme problems with hot flashes, so I sweat profusely, and tend toward dehydration.

          Somone posted my story on the Whitney Zone forum, in response to the story about the Bushwalker who died. It is a separate story from mine, but they saw similarities, thinking both were a case of hyponatremia, so that is why it was posted under that story.

          Hope that clarifies things. It was the most frightening thing I have ever experienced, and I was desperately seeking answers, as nothing, including altitude sickness made sense to me, (I got worse as I descended, not better). I had never experienced this type of migraine before, (although I occasionally had normal migraines) and hopefully, if someone else has migraines, it might help to know the symptoms if they experience something like this as well.

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29, 2012
            What did the doctor tell you to do if you suspect same thing happens again?  Thanks in advance.

            Sent from my iPhone
            See my Google Profile for interesting research links:
            http://tinyurl.com/3vnolh8

          • John
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 29, 2012
              Thank you for posting this, very interesting and very good information. Ultimately any significant neurological disorder at altitude should be suspected HACE and would suggest immediate evacuation.

              JD

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "basecampbound" <kjonmyway@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > and because I arrived earlier than expected, I wanted to take some photos
              > > > of the meadow. I set up camp, filtered and drank more water, ate a full
              > > > meal, (I was ravenous) and did my dishes. Out of the clear blue sky, I was
              > > > suddenly overwhelmed by a fatigued feeling that I've never experienced
              > > > before. The exhaustion hit me like a brick wall, but I chalked it up to not
              > > > sleeping the night before. Luckily, everything was prepped for the morning,
              > > > so even tho it was before 5pm, I decided to go to sleep.
              > > >
              > > > I only slept for 1/2 hour, when I was awoken by a severe headache, the
              > > > likes of which I have never experienced. I have migraines sometimes, and
              > > > this was worse. I got out of the sleeping bag to get some Ibuprofen from
              > > > the bear canister, and when I got back to my camp, there was a woman
              > > > sitting there in shorts and a tank top, with no daypa...

            • basecampbound
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 29, 2012
                The doctor gave me a prescription for Verapamil, as regular migraine medications don't work for this type of migraine.

                Funny, but I immediately suspected altitude sickness, so I thought descending was the answer, which is why I hiked down in the dark. It turns out, for this type of migraine, that physical activity actually makes it worse, and I did indeed get worse as I descended, but not having experienced this before, I had no idea. The doctor said I should have just laid down and tried to sleep, but there was no way to know that at the time.

                Any time you are at altitude, you have to suspect that first. The one thing I know now, is that it was not normal to fee so good with no sleep for over 24 hours. This type of migraine is often preceeded by a euphoric feeling, which could be a clue that it was about to happen.

                As it is now, hiking alone is not a good idea for me. Best to have a partner, and to manage triggers, ensure I get sleep, etc. My original reason for posting my story was to try and understaand what happened, but there are a lot of people out there who suffer from migraines. I have for years, but this was my first experience with this type of migraine, so hopefully someone else will benefit. I read another post about a gentleman who suffered a severe headache, vomiting, and was seeing people in rocks, (hallucinating) and this was when he was at quite a low altitude. I wonder if he was suffering the same type of migraine as I was. I'll probably never know, but I am hoping that taking better care of myself will prevent this from happening again. It was quite an experience, and one I don't want to repeat!