Re: [John Muir Trail] A New Blog Post Is Up

  • Ray Rippel
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 22, 2012
      Good morning, everyone,

      Thanks for the great comments regarding down. I'd like to take a moment to address them both.

      First, in regards to tarp camping with a down sleeping bag: I certainly didn't mean to imply that it couldn't be done, but I think we would all agree that pitching a tarp in a way that will keep you dry in a rainstorm requires a bit more expertise than pitching a tent. I know that it CAN be done and that skilled backpackers are doing it successfully. I still believe that the risk is higher of getting your down bag wet while under a tarp, but I also recognize one can mitigate that risk substantially with the right training.

      (On a related note, I know I seem to have a bit of a psychological barrier to overcome regarding tarps. Perhaps other folks do as well? I'm determined to give one a try someday!)

      The water-repellent down sleeping bags sound fabulous! As I poke around the interwebs I see lots of discussion about how great they are GOING to be, but not many reviews of actual performance. The fact that so many companies are going in this direction would lead me to believe that it's a solid technology, however. I also couldn't find if the treatment they apply to the down affects compressability. If these are truly down sleeping bags that are indentical to regular down bags in every way, except they will keep you warm when wet, sign me up!

      Thanks again for the great comments.

      Good hiking, Ray

      Ray Rippel

      Author, Planning Your Thru-Hike of the John Muir Trail

      http://jmtbook.com/

      Follow me at: www.twitter.com/JMTBook