Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: New Blog Post is Up!

  • Ray Rippel
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 15, 2012
    Good day, Gail,

    The video was posted on July 30th, so "Rattling Grandma" took at the most four weeks!

    One of the itineraries I suggest in my book is a 27 day (23 walking and 4 rest) that averages less than ten miles a day. This might be optimum for someone who has the flexibility to take their time.

    I'm going to try to attach the page to this email. If that doesn't work, let me know and I can send it direct.

    Good hiking, Ray

    On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 5:45 AM, Gail <forgetwho@...> wrote:

    Ray, do you have any idea when that video was shot? (She says she started on the trail on July 2, but without knowing when it was shot we can't know how long it took her.)

    I'm curious because I'll be 70 next summer when I attempt the trail :-).

  • hmdsierra
    Message 2 of 16 , Sep 15, 2012
      I agree on the pace. Let's one move along while enjoying the scenery. When my Son and I did out trip we too 25 days with 2 off for 23 walking days. We averaged a bit over nine miles a day. Our longest day was 13 miles from Bear Ck to Piute Ck. Just the right pace for a ten year old and for me too.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ray Rippel <ray.rippel@...> wrote:

      > Good day, Gail,
      >
      > The video was posted on July 30th, so "Rattling Grandma" took at the most
      > four weeks!
      >
      > One of the itineraries I suggest in my book is a 27 day (23 walking and 4
      > rest) that averages less than ten miles a day. This might be optimum for
      > someone who has the flexibility to take their time.
      >
      > I'm going to try to attach the page to this email. If that doesn't work,
      > let me know and I can send it direct.
      >
      > Good hiking, Ray
      >
      > On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 5:45 AM, Gail <forgetwho@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Ray, do you have any idea when that video was shot? (She says she started
      > > on the trail on July 2, but without knowing when it was shot we can't know
      > > how long it took her.)
      > >
      > > I'm curious because I'll be 70 next summer when I attempt the trail :-).

    • Gail
      Message 3 of 16 , Sep 16, 2012
        It did open, thank you very much, Ray.

        I'd be interested in hearing from others who took a long time - like a month - to do the trail - how that felt, and specifically, where and how often you resupplied.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ray Rippel <ray.rippel@...> wrote:

        > Good day, Gail,
        >
        > The video was posted on July 30th, so "Rattling Grandma" took at the most
        > four weeks!
        >
        > One of the itineraries I suggest in my book is a 27 day (23 walking and 4
        > rest) that averages less than ten miles a day. This might be optimum for
        > someone who has the flexibility to take their time.
        >
        > I'm going to try to attach the page to this email. If that doesn't work,
        > let me know and I can send it direct.
        >
        > Good hiking, Ray
        >
        > On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 5:45 AM, Gail <forgetwho@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Ray, do you have any idea when that video was shot? (She says she started
        > > on the trail on July 2, but without knowing when it was shot we can't know
        > > how long it took her.)
        > >
        > > I'm curious because I'll be 70 next summer when I attempt the trail :-).

      • hamockhngr2002
        Message 4 of 16 , Sep 16, 2012
          My friend and I just took 3 1/2 weeks to complete the trail. We mostly did 10 mad with a couple 13ers. We finished with a long 17 mile day into Whitney Portal. We supplied at Toluene, Reds, VVR and MTR. We carried 10 days out of MTR, that was hard. You could get a packer to bring you in food around Bishop or Kearsarge but we couldn't afford it.
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Gail" <forgetwho@...> wrote:

          > It did open, thank you very much, Ray.
          >
          > I'd be interested in hearing from others who took a long time - like a month - to do the trail - how that felt, and specifically, where and how often you resupplied.
          >
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ray Rippel <ray.rippel@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Good day, Gail,
          > >
          > > The video was posted on July 30th, so "Rattling Grandma" took at the most
          > > four weeks!
          > >
          > > One of the itineraries I suggest in my book is a 27 day (23 walking and 4
          > > rest) that averages less than ten miles a day. This might be optimum for
          > > someone who has the flexibility to take their time.
          > >
          > > I'm going to try to attach the page to this email. If that doesn't work,
          > > let me know and I can send it direct.
          > >
          > > Good hiking, Ray
          > >
          > > On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 5:45 AM, Gail <forgetwho@> wrote:
          > >
          > > > **
          > > >

          > > > Ray, do you have any idea when that video was shot? (She says she started
          > > > on the trail on July 2, but without knowing when it was shot we can't know
          > > > how long it took her.)
          > > >
          > > > I'm curious because I'll be 70 next summer when I attempt the trail :-).

        • Jean Dickinson
          Message 5 of 16 , Sep 16, 2012
            Like Gail, I am also interested in learning about JMT trips that lasted for more than a month.  I've hiked all sections, except for the stretch from Agnew Meadows to the Piute trail junction, some of them more than once, although not since my mid-50s. I know that even Ray's 27-day trip includes more daily mileage than I could commit to, even if I lost body weight (which I'm working on) and increased my fitness. I too will be 70 next year and am considering whether a thru-hike is a possibility or even something I'd want to do. I've been reducing my pack weight and took two Desolation Wilderness trips this summer with 38 pounds, including three liters of water, but even that was too heavy for 10-mile days in my current state, and I ended  up base camping at a lake 5 miles in. Anyone out there who's done the JMT in five weeks or more?

            Jean

          • Ned Tibbits
            Message 6 of 16 , Sep 16, 2012
              Whenever we teach along the trail (donation-based, of course), if the course isn’t a 10-day version along a segment from Pass to Pass, it is for as long a period of time that can be reasonably put together for all students. The point of going into the mountains, at least in our minds, is to learn from them. In order to get the most out of that, we believe you need to truly submerse yourselves and spend as much time there as possible, so trips of 3 weeks or more is highly desired.

              We have done 3-month trips from Kennedy to Mammoth in the winter-spring and annual 4-week versions every Fall. Lots of fun!

              Ned Tibbits, Director
              Mountain Education
              www.mountaineducation.org

              Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 10:31 AM
              Subject: RE: [John Muir Trail] taking more than a month to do the JMT

[...]

            • Ed Rodriguez
              Message 7 of 16 , Sep 16, 2012
                Hi Jean, a person can take as long as they like to hike the JMT, the major problem is food (pack weight). You can resupply yourself in TM, Mammoth Lakes (Reds Meadow), VVR, MTR, Bishop (South Lake pack station) and Independence (Onion Valley Pack station) at first I was going to take 32 days to hike the JMT this  year but I was able to walk longer and hike up to 12 per day. You just have to sit down and on paper find out on a pace that you want how much food you have to carry between resupply and how long of a day that you want to hike. Found out age is not a factor saw all kinds of season backpacker all hiking their own hike and enjoying the JMT.

                Ed Rodriguez
                Roseville, CA

                Place one foot in front of the other keeping your eyes on the horizon

                Message 8 of 16 , Sep 16, 2012
                  Jean

                  My first two trips into the Sierra were a 21 day Tahoe/Yosemite and a 5 week Lassen/Kings Canyon trip. My first JMT was 4 weeks on skis. All of these were pre-20 something. Since then I've done the JMT as a two week trip and a 3 week trip (and many longer trips elsewhere). For me, longer trips are more like "living" out there, shorter trips are merely "passing thru".

                  A woman friend of mine did the JMT at 70 over a three week period, so 70 is definitely not too late. IMHO 38 lbs is about twice what you should be carrying for an overnighter. My pack weighs ~40lbs for a week long trip, close to 10 of those pounds are camera equipment. If you invest in some light gear, and get your pack weight down, you'll be amazed at how much easier it is to put in miles.

                  If you do decide to take 5 weeks, which would be wonderful, I would certainly work out resupplies every week. While it is easy to lighten up gear, food is going to weigh x amount per calorie no matter what. Get your kids, grand kids, friends, etc, to commit to meeting you along the way with resupplies.

                  The JMT can be a trip of a lifetime.

                  JD

                  -
                • Inga Aksamit
                  Message 9 of 16 , Sep 17, 2012
                    I can't comment on doing 3 weeks or longer (yet), but my 63 yo husband and I (54) surprised ourselves on the High Sierra Trail after the first few days by being able to hike longer distances than we had planned--so much so that we exited a full day earlier than expected (planned 9 days and finished in 8--most people do it in 7). We did some 10, 11 and 12 miles days that were easy--we'd get to a planned spot at 7 or 8 miles at 2 pm and found that we weren't ready to stop. On the other hand some 8 mile days with big ascents were hard. We were surprised at how many people we passed looked our age or older--the trail is full of seniors, especially after schools are in session--presumably all the kids are in classrooms. We are fit so had no body weight to lose, but are working hard on reducing pack weight. I was pleased that when we weighed our packs at the end and found that our base weight was 22 lbs (without food or water, save the couple of meals we had leftover due to finishing early). I still have a way to go to achieve ultralight status but we're getting there. Our new packs (REI Flash) were so much more compact and light than our old packs that they felt comfortable even at the beginning of the trail with 9 days of food.

                    We did the HST as a test run for the JMT and I am now convinced that we can do it, especially if we build in a few rest days to let our bodies revive. However I wouldn't be surprised if we instead choose to do some light days--we're not ones to sit around for a day, though we want to take our time and enjoy the trail. A rest day might be just a few miles, but we like to move along. That's one of the appealing things about the JMT is that it appears to lend itself to hiking your own hike because of the availability of campsites and water. Even the Whitney day wasn't bad because we stayed in Guitar Lake before and Trail Camp after so we didn't push for some monster mileage.

                    Inga Aksamit
                    Mobile: 415-470-1812
                    Email: Iaksamit@...
                    Twitter.com/IngaAksamit
                    About Me: http://about.me/IngasAdventures
                  • Stephen Kundell
                    Message 10 of 16 , Sep 18, 2012
                      Hi Inga,
                      I did the JMT at 60 yrs age, 3 years ago, and the High Sierra Trail this
                      year. Like you did the HST in seven days. I found the difficulty levels
                      about identical to the JMT, so I think you will have no problem with the
                      JMT. I did the JMT in 19 days SOBO, but wished I had a few more days.
                      Next time, I will forgo Whitney, probably start at Onion valley and go
                      NOBO, but in about the same amount of time.
                    • Joe MacLeish
                      Message 11 of 16 , Sep 18, 2012

                        Inga/Stephan:

                        I did my first full JMT at 64 and my second at 67 last summer in early July (big snow).  Both times my times were about 20 days (+/- zero days).  I am not sure I understand the HST numbers from Inga.  Does the HST take around a third the time of the JMT?  7 days vs 19 days.  It seems like it is almost as long (200 vs 220 miles?) and in more difficult terrain.  I’ve been over many parts of the HST but I guess I never realized there was one continuous HST that went from here to there.  Gotta do this one in a year or two.

                        Joe

                        Message 12 of 16 , Sep 19, 2012

                          Joe,

                          we went last summer in late July for 19 days with our daughters and had tons of snow. I can't even imagine how early July must have looked like. From your question in regard to the HST I get the feeling that you might mix up the shorter High Sierra Trail with the longer off-trail Sierra High Route

                          Best Regards,

                          Manfred

                          Message 13 of 16 , Sep 19, 2012
                            Joe,
                            The "High Sierra Trail" runs from Sequoia to Mount Whitney, 60 miles to
                            the top. The confusion exists because of the newer unofficial "Sierra
                            High Trail" that runs parallel to and partially over the JMT and farther
                            north.