Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Cell coverage

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2012
      Lon Cooper (aka Halfmile of the famous PCT map set) was maintaining spreadsheets of cell phone coverage along the PCT. I have forwarded this thread to him in hopes he will add the information to his spreadsheets

      http://www.pctmap.net/cell/

      On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:23 AM, speedcenter2001 <pburke@...> wrote:

      What I know about ATT -

      ATT works in Yos. Valley, but you lose the signal pretty early as you head up towards the falls. You have signal on top of Cathedral Pass, and good reception everywhere around Tuolumne Meadows.

      ATT works on Donohue Pass, as well as south of Donohue at the second crossing of the creek heading southbound, about Lat,Lon 37.760661,-119.228974, with view to Mammoth Mtn.

      ATT works pretty much along the entire PCT alternate from Thousand Island Lake to Agnew Meadows. Didn't try it much on the regular JMT route, but should work fine on the pass after Gladys Lake, with line of sight to Mammoth Mtn, as well as in other areas around the Postpile. Definitely works fine at Reds Meadow Resort and a little further down into Fish Valley or up to Mammoth Crest.

      ATT no signal the following passes, last verified in 2010: Silver, Glen, Pinchot, Mather. Didn't bother testing at Selden and Muir and Forester - highly unlikely with any carrier.

      ATT works at the boat landing east end of Lake Edison, also works at VVR (need to step out of the woods a little towards the lake), never tried it on Bear Ridge, but should be a no brainer if it works at lake level. No signal at Florence Lake parking area.

      ATT works full bars at 12,000 feet below Whitney summit on the Mountaineer's Route (which few JMT hikers will use for descent, though). This is just 0.5 mile line of sight from the summit, so I assume it will work fine up there now. A year before that it didn't work at all in that area. I assume now it works fine on the summit, too. Will verify this later this fall, at least that's the plan right now. I haven't been on the regular Mt. Whitney Trail since 2010, but will verify next time I come down.

      And another data point in case you have to abort a hike like I did in Sept 2009: Exiting south of Pinchot Pass over Sawmill Pass, you will have ATT signal on the ridge outcropping you have to counter climb after getting below the treeline at about 7000 feet. The view is fantastic from that location, so you'll probably figure that this is the place to try a cell phone anyway. I was able to call Bob from Mt. Whitney Shuttle from there and by the time I got down to the trailhead my ride was already on its way.

      Even though this may appear like pretty decent coverage, you really only can make calls for short stretches between Yos. Valley and Lake Edison. You're without cell signal for 90% of the trail, possibly more.

      I recently checked T-Mobile as an alternate carrier. Would work fine where I live, but their coverage map doesn't even include Lone Pine!

      Peter (who is about to pull the trigger on an Iridium sat phone)

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 2012
        On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 7:58 AM, I wrote:
        Lon Cooper (aka Halfmile of the famous PCT map set) was maintaining spreadsheets of cell phone coverage along the PCT. I have forwarded this thread to him in hopes he will add the information to his spreadsheets

        Lon said he would update his cell phone information with the information from this thread.

        John