Who's using Gators?

  • kyleslammincivic808
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6, 2008
      I don't usually, but how many people feel they are a neccessity on the
      JMT? Thank you!
    • judyluana
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 6, 2008
        Here in Hawaii almost everyone in my hiking club wears them. They
        keep dirt & mud out of your shoes. Love them for backpacking, because
        they help to keep my socks clean. Also, they make nice doormats for
        your tent at night. They look cool too! :)

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "kyleslammincivic808"
        <kyleslammincivic808@...> wrote:

        > I don't usually, but how many people feel they are a neccessity on the
        > JMT? Thank you!

      • Drew
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 6, 2008
          I use them as well, whether wet or dusty, to me they really do help
          keep the trail out of my boots!

          I will be taking/wearing my low profile lightweight Outdoor research
          Gators when I hit the trail next month.
        • kyleslammincivic808
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 8, 2008
            Thanks! Anyone else?

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 9, 2008
              This year I switched to wearing the 1 oz, super breathable, Montbell Gaitors, and will be wearing them on the JMT for the purpose of keeping debris out of shoes.  I have worn them while training on multiday hikes this year and really like them.  I don't notice the weight and they don't make me sweat.

              > I use them as well, whether wet or dusty, to me they really do help
              > keep the trail out of my boots!
              >
              > I will be taking/wearing my low profile lightweight Outdoor research
              > Gators when I hit the trail next month.

            • Frank Martin
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 9, 2008

                > This year I switched to wearing the 1 oz, super breathable, Montbell
                Gaitors, and will be wearing them on the JMT for the purpose of
                keeping debris out of shoes. I have worn them while training on
                multiday hikes this year and really like them. I don't notice the
                weight and they don't make me sweat.

                Another option that are popular with Ultra's and Thru's
                are

                http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/empire2.html

                frank
              • Jim W
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 9, 2008
                  I just ordered some Dirty Girl gaiters (Gray Prick pattern) to keep the
                  pebbles out of my Montrail Continental Divides.

                  Jim
                  Aug 10 JMT start

                • e1705email
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 9, 2008
                    Aloha,

                    FWIW, after researching gaitors I decided to make my own low cut
                    stretchy one. They work great and were easy to make.

                    Went to a discount fabric store and bought a yard of black 4 way
                    stretch lycra - stretchiest one of several available on the discount
                    table. 1 yard might make approx. 8 pairs. Estimated a pattern and
                    sewed them up, adding a hook (from the same store) on the front and
                    velcro on the back. Used contact cement to glue velcro on the back of
                    shoes and boots. Without the velcro they kept slipping up, but with
                    they have worked perfectly. Cost is a little over a dollar a pair.
                    They seem durable enough after using them on several hikes. Will take
                    them on the JMT this year. Should these wear out someday, all the
                    materials are ready to go for making more. This basically is a life-
                    time supply - all for $10 and some time.

                    > This year I switched to wearing the 1 oz, super breathable,
                    Montbell Gaitors, and will be wearing them on the JMT for the purpose
                    of keeping debris out of shoes.  I have worn them while training on
                    multiday hikes this year and really like them.  I don't notice the
                    weight and they don't make me sweat.

                  • imaperson91
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 10, 2008
                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "e1705email" <df@...> wrote:

                      > Aloha,
                      >
                      > FWIW, after researching gaitors I decided to make my own low cut
                      > stretchy one. They work great and were easy to make.
                      >
                      > Went to a discount fabric store and bought a yard of black 4 way
                      > stretch lycra - stretchiest one of several available on the
                      discount
                      > table. 1 yard might make approx. 8 pairs. Estimated a pattern and
                      > sewed them up, adding a hook (from the same store) on the front
                      and
                      > velcro on the back. Used contact cement to glue velcro on the back
                      of
                      > shoes and boots. Without the velcro they kept slipping up, but
                      with
                      > they have worked perfectly. Cost is a little over a dollar a pair.
                      > They seem durable enough after using them on several hikes. Will
                      take
                      > them on the JMT this year. Should these wear out someday, all the
                      > materials are ready to go for making more. This basically is a
                      life-
                      > time supply - all for $10 and some time.

                      > > This year I switched to wearing the 1 oz, super breathable,
                      > Montbell Gaitors, and will be wearing them on the JMT for the
                      purpose
                      > of keeping debris out of shoes.  I have worn them while training
                      on
                      > multiday hikes this year and really like them.  I don't notice the
                      > weight and they don't make me sweat.

                      I just finished the JMT this past Monday and wore gaitors the entire
                      time. Would not hike without them due to all the loose dirt, sand,
                      gravel, etc. Also, gaitors work well when splashing through water,
                      allowing me to avoid rock hopping in many cases.

                      This "make them yourself" plan is something I am going to do, thanks
                      for the tip.