Best Way to Hike from Yosemite to Tahoe?

  • kyleslammincivic808
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2008
      I am planning to continue on up to tahoe after hiking the JMT from
      Whitney Portal. The thing is, the TRT guidebook is hard get and
      expensive, and I've read that that trail can be hard to find/follow at
      times. Someone mentioned taking the PCT north to Aloha or Echo Lake and
      cutting over. Does this sound reasonable?
    • Steve Schauer
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 7, 2008
        Here are some maps of the Tahoe Rim Trail, with general info.
        http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=79&Itemid=119

        The PCT goes through the west side of the lake, concurrent with the TRT unttil you split to keep going north or turn east to follow the TRT.I know the PCT from Tuolomne Meadows in Yosemite to Peeler Lake is fabulous.
        Claire
        kyleslammincivic808 <kyleslammincivic808@...> wrote:
        I am planning to continue on up to tahoe after hiking the JMT from
        Whitney Portal. The thing is, the TRT guidebook is hard get and
        expensive, and I've read that that trail can be hard to find/follow at
        times. Someone mentioned taking the PCT north to Aloha or Echo Lake and
        cutting over. Does this sound reasonable?

      • Frank Martin
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 7, 2008
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "kyleslammincivic808"
          <kyleslammincivic808@...> wrote:

          > I am planning to continue on up to tahoe after hiking the JMT from
          > Whitney Portal. The thing is, the TRT guidebook is hard get and
          > expensive, and I've read that that trail can be hard to find/follow at
          > times. Someone mentioned taking the PCT north to Aloha or Echo Lake and
          > cutting over. Does this sound reasonable?

          Follow the PCT to Echo Lake or a bit beyond. The PCT crosses Hwy. 50
          before Echo Lake. If you want to go a little further head towards
          Dick's Pass. Before the pass there is a side trail up to Gilmore
          Lake. From there head toward Mt. Tallac and connect with the trail to
          the Trailhead which is just a few miles from Lake Tahoe. There are a
          couple of trails. One takes you to a campground and the other goes
          along Falling Leaf Lake Snowpark. Both are on Hwy. 89 about 3 miles
          from South lake Tahoe.

          frank
        • kyleslammincivic808
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 7, 2008
            Thanks Claire! So the PCT and TRT run together, that is great. I
            should mention that I misspoke in my first post, what I meant was that
            the Tahoe-Yosemite trail is hard to follow.

            -Kyle

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Steve Schauer <clairehiker@...>

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 7, 2008
              Thanks Frank. Would there be a particular book or Tom Harrison map
              suited to this area?

              -Kyle

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...> wrote:

              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "kyleslammincivic808"
              > <kyleslammincivic808@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I am planning to continue on up to tahoe after hiking the JMT from
              > > Whitney Portal. The thing is, the TRT guidebook is hard get and
              > > expensive, and I've read that that trail can be hard to
              find/follow at
              > > times. Someone mentioned taking the PCT north to Aloha or Echo
              Lake and
              > > cutting over. Does this sound reasonable?
              > >

              > Follow the PCT to Echo Lake or a bit beyond. The PCT crosses Hwy. 50
              > before Echo Lake. If you want to go a little further head towards
              > Dick's Pass. Before the pass there is a side trail up to Gilmore
              > Lake. From there head toward Mt. Tallac and connect with the trail to
              > the Trailhead which is just a few miles from Lake Tahoe. There are a
              > couple of trails. One takes you to a campground and the other goes
              > along Falling Leaf Lake Snowpark. Both are on Hwy. 89 about 3 miles
              > from South lake Tahoe.
              >
              > frank

            • Frank Martin
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 9, 2008
                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "kyleslammincivic808"
                <kyleslammincivic808@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Frank. Would there be a particular book or Tom Harrison map
                > suited to this area?
                >
                > -Kyle

                As far as maps go if you don't have Topo Software you will have to go
                with Forest Service maps for the route you are taking.

                There is a site that has maps for most of the PCT but it doesn't have
                them for the sections you are taking.

                http://www.hikertrash.net/

                As far as a guide book goes you can use the

                The Pacific Crest Trail: Northern California

                or even just the Data Book.

                If you live near an REI you can check them out there but they are
                cheaper at Amazon.

                I have done those Sections and the trail is easy to follow. You are
                under Bear Cannister restrictions till Dorothy Pass the Yosemite
                Boundary but for all practical purposes most Thru's carry the BC till
                Echo Lake. If you need to resupply after TM your best bet is Kennedy
                Meadows (North) near Sonora Pass or hitching to Bridgeport from Sonora
                Pass.

                good luck,

                frank