Re: This trip's mistake and some thoughts on which way to face in stream crossings

  • Gail
    Message 1 of 31 , Sep 1, 2012
      Thanks to those who replied to this thread and to my original question about water depth in August in a "normal" water year. You've helped me decide to go ahead and try this next August if in February (when I apply for my permit) it looks like it's going to be an average or below average water year. This forum is terrific - any question will be answered :-).

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Ned Tibbits" <ned@...> wrote:

      > It is our experience after lots of winter/spring creek crossing instruction is that baskets, regardless of size, can get stuck between rocks and should be expected. Thus, don’t move your feet or change your balance until you have removed the next pole to be placed ahead. Balance mid-stream is everything!
      >
      > Which way you face is often dictated by the stream and your comfort level with your abilities. Often we teach facing the opposite bank in a solo crossing. With others linked together, you can form a tight triangle, cross side-by-side, or go single file, it is your choice. But the biggest deciding factor in our minds as we survey the crossing site we have chosen after looking over the creek up and down is the flow rate and depth, visibility of the obstacles on the bottom, availability of hand-holds, slippery surfaces, and the run-out.
      >
      > Poles or no poles, face forward or not, it is your training that will keep you alive. Practice wherever you can. Take your time. Be Careful Out There!
      >

      > Ned Tibbits, Director
      > Mountain Education
      > www.mountaineducation.org

    • charliepolecat
      Message 31 of 31 , Sep 1, 2012
        Gail, what I like about this forum is everyone is so helpful and nice to each other. Other forums are very often %$#@*&%$.

        Ken.

        P.S. Congrats by the way to Robert on finishing his 12th JMT.