Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: JMT, isolated trail?

    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 31, 2012
      On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 4:54 PM, charliepolecat <kennethjessett@...> wrote:
      If there is an interest in creating the John Muir Trail Association, we could form a steering committee to get moving with it.

      I have been lurking on this discussion, but thinking of it. I have formed two 501(c)(3) nonprofits in my lifetime, one many years ago and one recently. While they are not impossible, they are a bit of a pain. But you could do an unincorporated association.  If you aren't going to be getting in a lot of money, I don't know that you need formal corporate status of recognition as a nonprofit.

      But even as an informal association, I don't see a great need for one.  The JMT s well maintained by the various federal parks and UFFS jurisdictions involved and easily rally political support without the need of an association.  The Appalachian trail, for example, needs way more volunteer efforts to maintain it, and the complex nature of the PCT gives the PCTA plenty to do.

      The last thing we want to do is give the NPS and the USFS an excuse to offload the work they do on the trail to us.  Those who are interested in doing trail improvements could do it through the PCTA and just ask to be assigned to the sections where the two trails overlap.

      John ladd