Re: Bear Cannisters

  • mconnell62
    Message 1 of 473 , Apr 11, 2000
      Yes, Jim. You are in the Twilight Zone. In
      reality, we all hate the cannisters. They are way too
      heavy and don't hold enough. They are impossible to put
      into a backpack without taking up half of the pack
      unless you travel with a small pack in which case you
      carry the can in your hands.<br><br>Now, with that
      said, I must admit that I carry one unless I am
      traveling very light. (By light, I mean about 20lbs for 3
      days.) I carry the thing mostly because I am lazy. It is
      much easier to close up the can than to deal with
      hanging, especially if I'm not in camp until after dark. I
      also find that I sleep better if I'm not worried about
      having to get up to chase a bear away from my
      food.<br><br>As for the question of carrying it on a JMT trip,
      I'm not sure that I would carry the weight for that
      distance. In reality, it only adds a little over a pound
      compared to hanging gear but it psychologically it seems
      heavier.
    • tiocampo
      Message 473 of 473 , Feb 24, 2002