Re: Questions about ascending Mt. Whitney

  • Dave Pex
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 30, 2012
      I'd like to recommend Lone Pine Lake. Lovely spot, nicer than Trail or Outpost. Only 2 miles from the trailhead, so out quickly the next day.

      Dave

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "cjoslyn99" <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:

      > Personally, I was ready to be done. But if you're super tired can camp
      > at Trail Camp or Outpost Camp.
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Emily Yi <emily_yi2004@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks.
      > >
      > > We leave 2 days for the distance from Guitar Lake to Whitney Portal.
      > Is there a place we can camp in between, or better we just do it in one
      > day?
      > >
      > > -Emily

    • Bill Hegardt
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 30, 2012
        Also I'm told there is no WAG bag requirement at Lone Pine Lake since it is outside the Whitney zone.
        I usually hear the burgers and beer calling me, so just head down and out.

        - Bill

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 30, 2012
          About equally easy. With Edison you will travel more of the jMT

          Edison lake ferry no longer working, so you would probably enter at the trailhead Bear Creek Cutoff trail -- go up and over a small ridge and then up Bear Creek to join JMT after about a day's hiking (or less, if you are fast)

          I assume the Lake Florence ferry is still running so you get to the JMT faster (several hours rather than a day)

          Via Edison-Bear Creek you get one more pass (Selden) and some very pretty country. And Bear Creek itself is a nice day  So I would opt for Bear Creek.

          It's probably about 2 days longer to Whitney via Bear Creek relative to via Florence. But it is a good 2 days

          On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:21 PM, Alex Cheng <ralexcheng@...> wrote:
          Is it easier to start my end-of-summer hike at Florence Lake or Lake Edison?  My wife can drop me off at either place.  Which has easier access to the JMT (southbound)?