World speed record trail runner of JMT dies

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2012
      Dueno's posting on the Sierra Fastpacking Yahoo Group forum first caught my eye.  I found the main thread at BPL on his death.

      http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=67108

      Marathon speed hiker Michael "Mish" Popov of Walnut Creek died last week of heatstroke in 120-degree temperatures in Death Valley after going off course in a solo training run. He was 34.

      Popov gained world renown in 2007 when he completed the 222-mile John Muir Trail, from Whitney Portal to Yosemite Valley, without receiving outside assistance, in 4 days, 5 hours, 25 minutes, a record at the time.
      _