Re: Bear vault failure??

  • cjoslyn99
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2012
      Don't know about this summer but I recall seeing a report in recent
      years about a bear in that area performing "CPR" on the side of the can
      to bust it open.

      Not sure about the circumstances, but not fully screwing the lid on
      would compromise its strength and leave a gap that a bear could leverage
      to pop off the lid.

      I have a BV-450 and I'm not running out to get a replacement any time
      soon.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Sierracanon" <dlink_95670@...>
      wrote:

      > An acquaintance of my wife said that he'd heard that there was a
      failure of a Bear Vault canister in SEKI this summer. He said that he'd
      actually seen it being taken out of a ranger station in the park, and
      had "been torn apart." Anybody heard anything about this??

      > I don't really know this guy, and don't know if he knows what he's
      talking about. But he'd seen my canister in the garage, and commented on
      it.