finished my hike

  • Dale Stuart
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2012
      I finished my HST-JMT through hike.  Started at Crescent meadows.  On day 4 I hit the JMT at Wallace creek and headed north. (didn't go to Whitney-did that last year and stormy weather was heading that direction). On day 13 I went out to Mammoth Lakes and picked up a friend who had flown in and we started north the next day.  We spent 4 1/2 days playing in the rain and getting lots of rest (buried in our shelters waiting for the rains to stop)  It rained, hailed for hours at 1000 island lake 8/11, rained most of the day down the Lyell canyon 8/12.
      All told I did about 240 miles (49 HST to Wallace creek, 190+ JMT)

        I did a south bound last year in the snow and in my opinion it was far better, no storms, nice and cool. no water shortages. The mountains were prettier snow covered too.
      But now that I have seen and experienced 2 different extremes that the JMT has to offer.

      -Dale