Re: GPS coordinates from the Wenk Spreadsheet

  • Matt Murray
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hi,

      hmmm, the conversion process. It took hours of trial and error and I
      wish I could remember the magic combination. I'm pretty busy now with
      final prep for my Saturday departure to the valley for a monday trail
      start, but if I find the time, I'll post my instructions. The basics
      though, I exported from Excel, imported into Topo! and saved as
      a .tpg, then used GPSBabel!+ to convert to a .gdb file to open with
      Mapsource. I think...

      Matt Murray
      mhm@...
      San Francisco, CA

    • e1705email
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
        Hi Matt,

        Thank you for the response. I recognize you are busy getting ready,
        so am grateful for your note here. I don't have Topo! so would not be
        able to duplicate the procedure, should you be able to reproduce it.
        I am using the product of your previous labor via the .gdb file
        downloaded from Kevin's site. Having these campsites available is
        useful in planning for me. I am focusing on those near where I plan
        to camp and am also cutting and pasting the Wenk description into the
        waypoints.

        Aloha,

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Matt Murray <mhm@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > hmmm, the conversion process. It took hours of trial and error and
        > wish I could remember the magic combination. I'm pretty busy now
        with
        > final prep for my Saturday departure to the valley for a monday
        trail
        > start, but if I find the time, I'll post my instructions. The
        basics
        > though, I exported from Excel, imported into Topo! and saved as
        > a .tpg, then used GPSBabel!+ to convert to a .gdb file to open
        with
        > Mapsource. I think...
        >

        > Matt Murray
        > mhm@...
        > San Francisco, CA

      • Barbara Karagosian
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 30, 2008
          Hi all,

          I've been entering coordinates into my Garmin that look like: N36 48.201
          W118 24.155, for example. I'm trying to also use coordinates from the
          Sierra South book, by Moray & White, and in there they look like: 11S
          353042 4109671 (for example). It says that these are UTM data with
          meters east and meters north. Help! Does anyone know how to enter these?
          Thanks so much - Barbara

        • Derek Peters
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 30, 2008
            Your GPS can display and use UTM coordinates if you change the setup menu.
            Check out http://www.dbartlett.com/ for some info on UTM. IT's pretty simple. Instead of the world divided into deg. min. seconds it's divided into rectangles measured in meters.

            Derek

            > I've been entering coordinates into my Garmin that look
            > like: N36 48.201
            > W118 24.155, for example. I'm trying to also use
            > coordinates from the
            > Sierra South book, by Moray & White, and in there they
            > look like: 11S
            > 353042 4109671 (for example). It says that these are
            > UTM data with
            > meters east and meters north. Help! Does anyone know how
            > to enter these?
            > Thanks so much - Barbara

          • Barbara Karagosian
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 31, 2008
              Thanks for the info on coordinates. Just read the fine print in my Garmin
              manual, and also found the site you referred to - I think I've got it!
              Barbara

              _____

              Your GPS can display and use UTM coordinates if you change the setup menu.
              Check out http://www.dbartlet <http://www.dbartlett.com/> t.com/ for some

              --- On Wed, 7/30/08, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@mkpe.