Fire on Bear Ridge

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 7, 2012
    From VVR Facebook page today.
  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 2 of 10 , Aug 7, 2012
      The bear diversion dam trail is closed for a few days. It's a lightning started fire. JMT is open.

      On Aug 7, 2012, at 9:57 AM, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

      From VVR Facebook page today.

    • shawn peterson
      Message 3 of 10 , Aug 7, 2012
        Uh oh...hopefully it gets sorted soon...I leave from that trail head in 7 days.....

        The bear diversion dam trail is closed for a few days. It's a lightning started fire. JMT is open.

        On Aug 7, 2012, at 9:57 AM, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

        From VVR Facebook page today.

      • robert shattuck
        Message 4 of 10 , Aug 7, 2012

          "The bear diversion dam trail is closed for a few days. It's a lightning started fire. JMT is open."

          I may be speaking too soon, but fire in this area, unless it really gets going and spreads, a lot, probably won't be an issue for JMTers, other than in air quality.

          It might be of concern if you are planning to leave the VVR and head down to the Bear Creek Cut-off trailhead, but the Bear Creek Diversion Dam and the long road that leads into it are a good few miles west of the junction for the BCC

          The JMT is a good ways away . . .

          "Uh oh...hopefully it gets sorted soon...I leave from that trail head in 7 days....."

          Are you actually planning on leaving from the BEAR CREEK DIVERSION DAM TRAILHEAD? . . . or the Cut-off trailhead. The BIG difference being that the cut-off trailhead is right on the roaside, and the dam trailhead is about 4-5 miles back off the road on a 4-wheel drive road.

          Bob

        • shawn peterson
          Message 5 of 10 , Aug 7, 2012
            Yes my starting point is the Bear Creek Dversion Trail Head.  As has been several times in the past.  My dad is fishing Mono Creek today so I hope to hear some news about the current state of the fire and trail closure.  My folks live in Shaver Lake.

            The big difference between the cutoff trail and the trailhead at the dam is the view and the experience.  The cutoff trail IMHO is boring, dry, and a waste of time if you can have someone drop you off or leave your vehicle at the bear creek dam...if you don't have that luxury then the hike on the 4-wheel drive trail to the dam would be as miserable or more than the cutoff trail.

            Shawn

            Message 6 of 10 , Aug 7, 2012
              Shawn,

              Yeah, it's a nice drive out to the dam––nice views––but you wouldn't want to have to walk it, or for that matter, get your unsuspecting friend to drive you out there in their Prius.

              Having done both the cut-off trail and driven in and out of the dam a few times (I worked at VVR a few summers) . . . the cut-off trail is the way to go. "boring" yeah, hot water-less stretches can be just that, but it's a small price (of an hour or less ) to pay for the pleasure of getting to Bear Creek.

              And a hell of a lot better than Bear Ridge Trail, Agreed?

              BOB

            • shawn peterson
              Message 7 of 10 , Aug 7, 2012
                Oh Yeah Bear Ridge Trail is terrible.....

                I've been doing the trails around Kaiser/Mono/Etc since I was a youngster and jsut like doing the water routes the best....

                The Prius on bear creek dam road would be an amusing site....particularly the hard right from the road onto the granite traverse and then back to the trail.

                Im lucky enough to have someone want to fish the bear creek and drop me off every summer at the dam so I'll take what I can and leave the cutoff trail and bear ridge to the less fortunate ;)

                Message 8 of 10 , Aug 8, 2012
                  I'm camping at the Bear Ridge Trail and JMT junction right now. I haven't seen or smelled any fire activity while hiking here this afternoon and evening.

                  -ronc

                  Typos by iPhone

                  On Aug 7, 2012, at 10:43 AM, shawn peterson <pdawg893@...> wrote:

                  Uh oh...hopefully it gets sorted soon...I leave from that trail head in 7 days.....

                  The bear diversion dam trail is closed for a few days. It's a lightning started fire. JMT is open.

                  On Aug 7, 2012, at 9:57 AM, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

                  From VVR Facebook page today.

                • robert shattuck
                  Message 9 of 10 , Aug 8, 2012
                    and you've got reception . . .

                    forkfestreview.wordpress.com
                    sparklefart.blogspot.com

                    CC: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                    To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 10 of 10 , Aug 10, 2012
                      I called the Prather office today to check on the Bear Creek Trail status.....its still closed as of today and my folks say there has been a steady stream of CDF personnel heading up the hill from Shaver Lake to the fire area. Not to over play it....not a ton of personnel but I beleive they have about 100 assets dedicated to the fire. The latest update says expected containment date is August 12th.

                      Here is some quick link info to some video, most current conditions, and map of the fire area.....50 percent contained is the latest report...

                      http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3119/

                      Videos

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF8sx-kmjYg&feature=plcp

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA5v-lG3rdQ&feature=plcp