Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Fishing the JMT

Expand Messages
  • josh0322
    I ve heard mention of a few folks fishing the JMT but not too many. I d like to fish so long as it s legal. Can I get a regular CA state license and be good
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
      I've heard mention of a few folks fishing the JMT but not too many.
      I'd like to fish so long as it's legal. Can I get a regular CA state
      license and be good for the length of the trail? Are there any
      lakes/streams where fishing is forbidden? How about catch and release
      only areas?
      Thanks in advance!

      Josh
    • Kevin Aston
      I have fished it both years I have gone. I m from Utah and have to get an out of state license. Cost is about $35 for 10 days, or about $90 for the year. There
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
        I have fished it both years I have gone. I'm from Utah and have to get an out of state license. Cost is about $35 for 10 days, or about $90 for the year. There are some catch and release areas in the state, but not along the trail. I have not caught anything but trout, but have caught Browns, 2 kinds of goldens, and I think brooks and rainbow, but don't remember for sure. Pictures of some of my fish are at
        http://www.kevinaston.com/toevolution.html (Brown and Brook) http://www.kevinaston.com/tosaliekeyes.html and (Goldens)
        http://www.kevinaston.com/Fish.html (Goldens)
        I take a telescoping pole and lightweight open-face reel and use 4-6 lb line with a variety of colors of Brass Panther Martins. Size 4 is my favorite here is a list I made for Fred last year of what lures I took last year. This years list is about the same. I had:
        (1) 6PMD-G 1/4 OZ ALL BRASS
        (6) 4PMD-G 1/8 OZ ALL BRASS
        (1) 2PMD-G 1/16 OZ ALL BRASS
        (1) 2PMH-RTH 1/16 OZ TROUT COLORINGS
        (1) 1PMHRH-RTH 1/32 OZ TROUT COLORINGS
        (1) 1PMRRH-G 1/32 OZ BRASS WITH BLACK BODY
        I ALSO HAVE ONE BRASS AND ONE SLIVER 3/8 OZ KASTMASTER

        I can throw the KASTMASTERs a mile and hope to get out into a lake
        where there are some bigger fish.

        I caught fish in every lake and stream I fished except Purple Lake 2 years ago. I think there are fish there but the mosquitoes were draining me dry so I went back to my tent before they could finish me off. That was the worst spot I saw for mossies on the trip. I release most of what I catch, but eat a few. I plan on eating more this year than in the past.
        Happy fishin
        Kevin


        josh0322 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: I've heard mention of a few folks fishing the JMT but not too many.
        I'd like to fish so long as it's legal. Can I get a regular CA state
        license and be good for the length of the trail? Are there any
        lakes/streams where fishing is forbidden? How about catch and release
        only areas?
        Thanks in advance!

        Josh






        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • josh0322
        Thanks for the info, Kevin. I m going to take that list directly to the tackle shop and see what they can do for me. I too have a telescoping rod but I think I
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
          Thanks for the info, Kevin. I'm going to take that list directly to
          the tackle shop and see what they can do for me. I too have a
          telescoping rod but I think I might need a new reel. It will be so
          nice to catch fish for dinner.

          -Josh

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Aston <kevin@...> wrote:
          >
          > I have fished it both years I have gone. I'm from Utah and have to
          get an out of state license. Cost is about $35 for 10 days, or about
          $90 for the year. There are some catch and release areas in the state,
          but not along the trail. I have not caught anything but trout, but
          have caught Browns, 2 kinds of goldens, and I think brooks and
          rainbow, but don't remember for sure. Pictures of some of my fish are at
          > http://www.kevinaston.com/toevolution.html (Brown and Brook)
          http://www.kevinaston.com/tosaliekeyes.html and (Goldens)
          > http://www.kevinaston.com/Fish.html (Goldens)
          > I take a telescoping pole and lightweight open-face reel and use 4-6
          lb line with a variety of colors of Brass Panther Martins. Size 4 is
          my favorite here is a list I made for Fred last year of what lures I
          took last year. This years list is about the same. I had:
          > (1) 6PMD-G 1/4 OZ ALL BRASS
          > (6) 4PMD-G 1/8 OZ ALL BRASS
          > (1) 2PMD-G 1/16 OZ ALL BRASS
          > (1) 2PMH-RTH 1/16 OZ TROUT COLORINGS
          > (1) 1PMHRH-RTH 1/32 OZ TROUT COLORINGS
          > (1) 1PMRRH-G 1/32 OZ BRASS WITH BLACK BODY
          > I ALSO HAVE ONE BRASS AND ONE SLIVER 3/8 OZ KASTMASTER
          >
          > I can throw the KASTMASTERs a mile and hope to get out into a lake
          > where there are some bigger fish.
          >
          > I caught fish in every lake and stream I fished except Purple Lake 2
          years ago. I think there are fish there but the mosquitoes were
          draining me dry so I went back to my tent before they could finish me
          off. That was the worst spot I saw for mossies on the trip. I release
          most of what I catch, but eat a few. I plan on eating more this year
          than in the past.
          > Happy fishin
          > Kevin
          >
          >
          > josh0322 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          I've heard mention of a few folks fishing the JMT but not too many.
          > I'd like to fish so long as it's legal. Can I get a regular CA state
          > license and be good for the length of the trail? Are there any
          > lakes/streams where fishing is forbidden? How about catch and release
          > only areas?
          > Thanks in advance!
          >
          > Josh
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          >
        • Frank Martin
          ... Don t forget you need barbless hooks .
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, josh0322 <no_reply@...> wrote:
            >
            > Thanks for the info, Kevin. I'm going to take that list directly to
            > the tackle shop and see what they can do for me. I too have a
            > telescoping rod but I think I might need a new reel. It will be so
            > nice to catch fish for dinner.
            >
            > -Josh
            >
            Don't forget you need 'barbless hooks'.
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.